mercredi 5 juin 2019

L'ARTISTE NAIF DE SIEM REAP . STEF DELAPREE . AFTERNOON CHAT IN THE LAND OF GREAT THUNDERS

The rain began falling suddenly and the thunder was deafening, truly and figuratively. Everything was in a swaying motion, leaves falling, rain travelling horizontally.
I was sitting at a side walk cafe, as a front seat observer of this natural tropical drama, having a conversation with STEF, a french man who has become universal, resident of Siem Reap for two decades, and Naive Artist with a distinct style of painting.
 I had met him many years ago and make a point of stopping by his gallery in the main street and have a chat. Our conversation might cover a wide range of subjects and usually conducted in three languages French English and Spanish. 
 We were discussing why the French are naturally so sad and pessimistic about life. We touched on the history of France and its effort at integration of the Muslims from Maghreb and its failure to do so. I had to mention that the medical care is superb, possibly the best in the world, having some first hand knowledge about it. 
He has lived in many countries: Canada, El Salvador, Spain and now Cambodia and he always want to discuss Cuba and its lived art and culture with me 
The rain-pour was so dramatic, and it added the necessary drama for me to discuss the lived in culture of Cuba where people live their culture and not Cultural Frankensteins (perhaps tourism makes people feel inferior and want to imitate foreigners?). 
 The coffee shop was a pleasant one and we enjoyed our conversation which covered a wide range of subjects.



 I like his paintings and it was my best friend in Asia, YMC, who gave me a tee shirt with is art on it and also at her house in Seri Kembangan there is a large print of his painting
If ever you are in Siem Reap, drop by his gallery in the main street and in the afternoon you would find him there 
I am very optimistic and positive a person he told me once, so where I live does not matter even though I wont be able to have this quality of life and so much free time if I were to live in Europe.
You would find yourself having a nice conversation with this naif artiste
from the land that produced the most ancient naif art and the most famous naif artist 
Just by looking at this painting you should know the name of the most famous french naif artist...
Ancient cave paintings are the first example of this art form.  The most well-known are the prehistoric paintings of the Caves of Lascaux in Perigord, France. The image below  is one part of the images discovered from this site and dates from the Paleolithic era.
this is an indication that men always had the urge to paint
I have seen cave art, let me think of it, Seminole Canyon in Texas, Hills in Zimbabwe, Kimberly region of Australia...


I am happy to have STEF as my friend and I always look forward to a chat with him when I visit Siem Reap, today was no exception.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...