lundi 24 juin 2019

REMEMBERING THE MOST HON.EDWARD PHILLIP GEORGE SEAGA, FORMER PRIMER MINISTER OF JAMAICA

When a statesman of the calibre of Mr Seaga passes away, each of the thousands of people who had come in contact with him throughout his illustrious, long political career, would have their own story to tell.
When called to serve the country, which he did so well during a career lasting 43 years in the Parliament, he dedicated himself to his people, to uplift the lives of the people who elected him to represent them, from a poor, marginalized part of Kingston.
I have had a tenuous relationship with Jamaica. I was fascinated with the island, when I first heard Rex Nettleford of the Jamaica National Ballet speak in Melbourne, Australia. Then it became a fascination with British West Indies as a whole: Trinidad, Barbados and the visiting cricket teams from West Indies to Australia.
I was involved in a novel experiment in rural health care providing free medical care to the poor in Jamaica, using a theory of International transfer that I learned in a class on International Relations. Luidas Vale, Bog Walk, Gordon Town, Mandeville, Montego Bay all entered my vocabulary and the constant visits to Jamaica added a tilt to my accent.
My medical knowledge was sought after and I found myself in the living rooms of some prominent families as well as my clinics for the poor. 
One of my friends had organized a lift for me on the helicopter going to Ocho Rios. She dropped me off at the Prime Minister's office and soon I found myself sitting face to face with Mr Seaga.
He didnt waste much time chit chatting and said : I have heard that you are doing clinics in Jamaica to help the poor people, you have no connections with Jamaica, I appreciate it. Then he said: my sisters said, you help them with their medical problems, why don't you help with mine, with a slight smile.
I said, Mr Seaga, you are the Prime Minister of this country, and if the medical fraternity knew that a foreign doctor was counselling you, they would be livid with envy and protocol. But I promise you, when you are no longer the PM, I would be happy to be your doctor.
We flew in the helicopter to Ocho Rios.
Bustamante, Manley, Sangster, Shearer, then Mr. Seaga the fifth PM of Independent Jamaica, a world class statesman, educated at Harvard, humble, incorruptible and unselfish and lover of his people in the little island of his.
He died recently having come to Miami to obtain treatment for an advanced case of illness. During three weeks, I was able to visit him twice at the home he was staying and spend a long time talking about various things, he had many stories to tell. I felt very humbled in his presence. 

He was buried on 23rd June 2019 at Heroes Cemetery after a wonderful ceremony at the Cathedral attended by Jamaicans of all walks and all the religious minorities were represented including the long resident Jews of the island.
For a short period, Jamaica had played a very important part in my life and it was nice to be reminded of the good aspects of life there and also remind myself of the myriad of good people I had met there.

I watched the funeral ceremony which was later published in youtube, beautifully photographed and felt very grateful to have known this great man.

The youtube video is 5 hours long and those of you interested in watching the video it is here 






featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...