dimanche 16 juin 2019

LIVE JAZZ IN BARCELONA

Last night, my friend Luis, whom I had met in Baracoa, Cuba, invited me to a Jazz Club to listen to a trio and a singer ..
Luis is a grand aficionado of Modern Jazz, having been deeply involved in live performances of the artists whenever they came to Spain and many a time, got to know them personally. He has a collection of hundreds of recordings of Modern Jazz and also he has filmed many concerts. Photography is his pastime.
We went to a Jazz Club called MILANOs and the quartet was playing.
Once I entered the dimly lit, in red shades of the stage and the busy bar and the waiters in crisp clothes, I was reminded of the very first time I went to a Jazz Club in the USA. I was a student then, and Ahmad Jamal was playing at a hotel near the Airport. He began with his signature tune . Ponciana
I enjoyed the two sessions. The singer was making jokes about male/female relationships with a heavy bisexual innuendo, and had a wonderful stage presence. She had a good control of her voice and she reminded us of Billie Holiday. The drummer obviously was enjoying his contribution and the pianist was the best among them all.
Nice evening. The bar had hundreds of Cocktails but i opted for a simple glass of local wine.









featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...