mercredi 19 juin 2019

HOME IN DOHA FOR A HOMELESS HUMANITARIAN DOCTOR THANK YOU AND GRACIAS

When my good friend Dr Jim Kerr from South Dakota came to visit me in Miami, he quipped: You are homeless but certainly Upper Class.. he was not thinking of my socioeconomic status or social class but the fact that I manage to get the best of my travelling life..
Marriott Marquis Hotel is one such example.
I have stayed at various hotels in Doha: Oryx, Hilton, Ritz-Carlton, Movenpick, Shangri-La but it is to Marriott Marquis that I am drawn to.
If home is where your heart is, my home in Doha is certainly Marriott Marquis Hotel.
Occasionally I make purposeful stops, like the last two visits, so that I can enjoy Marriott Marquis, knowing fully well that Marcel the Front Desk Manager will make sure that I am allotted a good room and that Harlene Tiu from Guest Relations will be an addition to the good services and food provided at the Executive Lounge. 
I feel sad when I hear that some staff had left (Angel from PH on arrival)  or transferred but I am grateful to their attention. I have to make special mention of Shiela at the Front Desk with such genuine warmth, Mamim the petite Nepali who used to be visible and now hidden in the Finance Department and Manisha at the Lounge.
Since January 2019, I have been to SE Asia three times (mainly Malaysia, Myanmar, Cambodia) and twice down to South America (Buenos Aires and Easter Island) and twice to Colombia (my project in the Amazon).
So you can imagine the anticipation I have when my journey from Kuala Lumpur to Barcelona gave me an opportunity to stop at Doha and as George Clooney says of Nespresso..
Marriott Marquis, what else?
I arrived close to midnight and was surprised to see a fresh face, Alain from Rwanda, and efficiently he assigned me to 4201 the view from which was incredible with luxurious accoutrements to delight anyone. Mohammed from Morocco at the Front Desk was an old friend, so was Christian at the Lounge at 42nd Floor. 



The room was sheer luxury and I enjoyed every minute of it, including taking a prolonged bath. 
I like to greet Marcel on my visits and over the years we have built up a pleasant relationship.
A traveller looks forward to the next stop and each place becomes associated with people he meets there. I made some new friends: Plum from the North part of Vietnam, Farida from Baku, Azerbaijan along with her two new friends, from Durban and Cape Province in RSA.
 Views from the Executive Lounge 42nd Floor.



 I was excited to see Shakshouka on the offer since it is the national breakfast dish of Israel. I realized that this is the original version (Moroccan or Tunisian with just eggs) but in Israel the shakshouka is embellished with many other ingredients. I know a good place to have Shakshouka in Israel: at the home of my younger brother Shimon in Haifa!


I am of Jewish middle eastern origin and nothing pleases my stomach like the foods from the region. My own research shows that we must be faithfully eating the food of our ancestors!

 At the Lounge, Christian greets me warmly and Aries made sure that I was not hungry, even though I knew that at Al Mourjan Lounge at Hamad International my friends would insist on their food offerings.
So why do I insist on staying at Marriott Marquis and feel that you should stay there too?
Doha is full of luxury hotels but at Marriott Marquis, the welcome feels genuine and the efforts of the staff seems authentic.





As if all these were not enough, to heap upon a homeless wandering doctor, I even got a nice note from Rhoda Macasil, Executive Secretary. 
Thank You, Marcel.

THANK YOU, ALL OF YOU AT MARRIOTT MARQUIS AT DOHA, QATAR
FLY THE BEST AIRLINE IN THE WORLD, QATAR AIRWAYS AND STAY AT ONE OF THE BEST PLACES IN DOHA...

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...