jeudi 6 juin 2019

WHAT DOES A TROPICAL ENDOCRINOLOGIST DO IN SIEM REAP CAMBODIA

MAKE NEW FRIENDS OF COURSE ..
The day begins of course with a nice breakfast..
But the time difference between Cuba and Cambodia is 11 hours, so I had to reply to some emails from Cuba well past midnight my time when they were just finishing their lunch. But it is always a pleasure for me to do things for Cubans in Cuba..
noodles with vegetables and two hard boiled eggs.. juice and some tea from Myanmar..
My Burmese brother friend Ko Maung Maung and I went on an expedition to find a glass enclosure for a samsung J 6 18, a request from Cuba, but even after going to the largest service centre we were not successful.
 He dropped me off at the Angkor Market where I thought i would try my luck. The wine retailing here is done by people who have absolutely no idea of wine, much like Cuba and my only help was my wine app VIVINO.
It was a pleasant half an hour looking through the collection of wines: lots of french wine but of mediocre quality as well as the usual culprits from australia and argentina and chile.
a lot of my friends and colleagues in Cuba have consulted me for their acne problems, and of course I tell them that there is a connection to their microbiome and the stress that increases the inflammation. I was happy to find this face wash just for acne (i can find ayurvedic ones in India as well), plus a medication like oxy , follow it up with aloe vera.. gets good results.. of course they put the three of these things together and sell it for an enormous price whereas I can get the three different ingredients for under 5 dollas. This one was for a friend of mine who is graduating as a doctor in one month in Cuba.
I taught her rudimentary Yoga and it had wonderful effects and the Acne actually subsided a little..
in any country rich or poor, at a supermarket do not shop in the middle like seen above in the Angkor Market, this row is full of extremely highly processed food with no nutritional value and please buy them if you have suicidal intentions.
 Ko Maung Maung had recommended this resto called PAU which is Khmer for Uncle by a local chef with good fusion cuisine. I got there around 3 pm and no one but the person serving and another cooking were present 
 We had a pleasant chat and I was quite thrilled by the menu, which is Khmer plus variations of internationalist cooking. I requested grilled river fish with home made tamarind sauce and the presentation of the dish and the taste were appealing 
Their vegetarian dishes looked very appealing. and it is just a stones throw away from the hotel where I am staying, Beyond Yangon Boutique Inn 
It was time for a good cup of coffee and I wanted to reach the NOI cafe before the sky split open.
I was able to get a little reading done, George Orwell's story about Shooting the Elephant and in fact this was a true episode during his unwelcome stay at Mawlemayne in the nethers of British Burma. He has a very succinct way of writing and what is more important is his condemnation of the Imperialism of the British and the colonialist behaviour and thinking of that time, which was just less than one hundred years ago.
Noi Cafe is a hole in the wall and there are a half a dozen girls most of them glued to their phones and talking rather loudly, with occasional visits from their friends which only increased the noise decibels bit more.
To me, it was surrealistic surrounded by this Buddhist calm, reading excellent English literature and the Cappuccino was good too and reasonably priced.
On the way back to the hotel, stopped at Mollop Organic farm restaurant where Jean Lou from South of France is working and he introduced me to a CUBAN young man who is here with is father who is working as an orthopaedic surgeon in Battambang. Planned to meet them again tomorrow (before shabbat candles had to be lit and it would be wonderful to light them at the Buddhist temple across the street)
It was time for the 60minute whole body oil massage. Massage here are not done by qualified masseuse but by young woman who have picked up a point or two from a teacher. But from our point of view it is one hour of rest where your body is tenderly pressed and dont expect any sort of relief of pain or suffering but certainly it is an hour well spent

I was intrigued by a sign saying Restaurant Andre Malraux. I had eaten at the name sake when it was in another part of town and i was truly pleased to see the resto, its decoration in  french colonial style , photographs of colonial life and a menu which is more french than khmer. If my brother Eliyahu was here, this would be our destination as places like these have to be enjoyed with people who are truly fond of food and history and colonial and art collections.
ANDRE MALRAUX was one of the few truly adventurous travellers and social activists of his time, led a very intriguing life. 

When visiting the Guimet museum in Paris, I was more than once reminded of him.For those interested in French Indochine, his name would pop up. He was like Lawrence of Arabia of Indochina.. so to speak



Tonkin Annam and Cochin China later on to be joined by the French to become VIETNAM
As I was coming out of the massage place, the little girl from the laundry across the street came out to greet me and it is always nice to see this four year old.
I walked towards Wat Damnak



 As the sun was coming down, it was nice to walk around the Monastery and soak in the atmosphere.
I wanted to pray for my landlady BQ in Havana and also for two friends, one a berber from the Alps and the other from VN.


My body is relaxed, my mind is very calm, my heart is without conflicts, i feel rested, with no acute desire to fill every living moments with activities and actions, I am happy to be doing little things, in no particular order.
I opened a bottle of Shiraz 2018 from South Eastern Australia.

It is dark outside, the sun has set but the days is beginning in Cuba and USA and in Europe it is past lunch time an in Asia my friends are getting ready for their dinner.
I too would have a fusion vegetarian dinner tonight..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...