dimanche 5 janvier 2020

AYURVEDIC MASSAGE AT THE OLD LIGHTHOUSE HOTEL FORT COCHIN BY MR JOHNSON

First of all the context:
I remember overhearing a tourist planning his day: one hour of massage, then two hours sightseeing in Mattancherry and then one hour bus ride for an afternoon at the Backwaters..
Maurice Merleau-Ponty was a French Anthropologist who talked about CONTEXT and said, without context things have no meaning.
When you are having an ayurvedic massage, you have to be mindful of the fact that you are having a massage, enjoy the massage and devote time to it afterwards to enjoy the afterglow by doing very little. By planning activities afterwards, you are already living in the future without being aware of the present.
I have been extremely fortunate to have one relaxing and four therapeutic massages on consecutive days of my stay at Old Lighthouse Hotel Bristow's Bungalow at Fort Cochin.
Two other things are important as well, obviously the Massage therapist and his experience and his worldview as well as a good ambience to have the massage.
I am glad to say that at Old Lighthouse Hotel you have a location with appropriate ambiance at the Spa. 
and Mr Johnson who has at least twenty years of experience working in Europe at various therapeutic spas. Before the massage, you have to discuss with him, your needs, not just give me a massage. On the first day, I had arrived after an overnight flight from Paris, so a relaxation massage was appropriate. the next morning, after my morning walk I realized that I no longer needed another relaxation massage but could concentrate on therapeutic massage concentrating on flexibility of the hip, shoulders.
Mr. Johnson is a soft spoken person but let that not fool you, he directs his force at the spots that need attention. He has many years of experiences in various spas in Europe: Austria, Italy , Malta etc. He comes from a family of masseurs. You can book his services at the hotel even if you are not a guest at the hotel. 
Things to be aware
Just one session of massage, apart from relaxing you a bit has no physiological benefit. In my opinion, if you have a therapeutic option, it has to be done in four sessions.
Secondly, after the massage, one does calm the mind and body, relax afterwards. Do not eat before the massage, I like to leave at least a three hour gap after the last meal. A slow vegetarian meal afterwards would be ideal (you can order that at the Bristow's Bistro at the hotel, while enjoying the view of the Arabian sea)

The treatments by Mr Johnson fitted in well with my agenda of spending time at the Old Lighthouse Hotel and not put my body through rigorous touristy activities. I felt my flexibility improve considerably after four sessions.
after a therapeutic ayurvedic massage by Mr Johnson.

here are the contact details of the Hotel on their business card. Enjoy.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...