jeudi 11 novembre 2021

BRITISH AIRWAYS 207 LONDON TO MIAMI. A GOOD TIME SPENT ON AIR. A PLEASANT JOURNEY OF CIVILIZED SERVICE

 I am not in the habit of writing Trip Reports (there are plenty of websites for that), but one thing remains that I do enjoy flying and my own little bag of tricks.

I psychologically prepare for the trip the day before by calming my mind down and throw out all conflicts and meditate if possible and think very positively about the flight to come. My flights tend to be long, as my favourite destinations are in South East Asia and in Europe.

I recently flew from London Heathrow to Miami on British Airways Boeing 777-300. The plane was showing its age as BA had mothballed most of its newer planes until the holiday season.

I had stayed overnight at a hotel near the airport. Because LHR London Heathrow is such a large airport, even if you could see the airport from the hotel, it might take a good 20 to 30 minutes to reach your terminal. The best way for me to get to Terminal 5 from the hotel was to take the local transport, Bus number 243 which deposited me right in front of the Terminal 5. Beware of the checking in at LHR BA terminal for International flights, they are pretty rigorous about the documents and searching of the carry on luggage. A east european lady with a rigid face, my luck brought me face to face as she scrutinized my luggage (i travel with just a carry on and back pack. I joked about my bad luck that two years ago, i had this very same lady who had ripped my luggage apart, metaphorically.

I did not feel any resentment, was feeling calm (vipassana meditation of SN Goenka does work!) and was greeted by a petite Thai lady whom I greeted in the traditional Thai fashion. A nice smile was elicited and I was off to the BA Lounge and when I got there, the agents gave me a choice of lounges and I chose Concorde Lounge which I have not savoured before. I am a fan of Airline Lounges and sometimes I go earlier than necessary to the airports to enjoy the Lounges.

In the 2 year Covid absence what i have noticed is that the absence of willowy blond east europeans at hotel desks and coffee shops, they were being replaced by Konkani speaking lanky Goan young men. The waiters at the lounge followed the rule, young dark men with Portuguese sounding name (but not a single one speaks Portuguese) just like you find among the Filipinos with Spanish names but without the accompanying language skills. Forgotten colonial pasts, I suppose.


view from Concorde lounge of the departure area below.


I had some cafe latte and scrambled eggs with salmon on a sourdough toast. I ate slowly enjoying the repast as I knew what lay ahead in the ten hour flight to Miami.


The flight to Miami left from the S gates, down the lift, on a short train ride there. The airport is not back to its splendour of the past after being shut down and restricted for such a long period of time.

The boarding was quick, if rather inelegant and I was directed to my seat which I had carefully chosen. A lady much the caricature of a primary school principal warmly welcomed me and as soon as I settled down offered me a flute of champagne.

She even brought out the bottle when I asked what was that I was drinking.





I have to tell you that I was fully prepared to enjoy this flight and it was more than a coincidence that I was offered a flute of this champagne.

I had become a fan of this bubbly during my years of living in France and I like their habit of apero when a bottle is opened around 4 pm when visitors happen to drop by .. bubbly and savouries like we would say in Oz

Named after the Grand Siecle when "Sun King" Louis XIV reigned this a regal Champagne, and one of the greats. Grand Siècle is always a blend of three vintages, with grapes sourced from Grand Cru vineyards. The 50% Chardonnay 50% Pinot Noir blend is matured for 10-12 years on yeast lees to give it exceptional finesse and complexity.  (from BA Menu)

the minute it touched my palate (caressed would be a better word) I knew i was in for a treat and the madam was happy to oblige filling the flute as they went down a little. I thoroughly enjoyed this champagne.


Thank you, BA for that introduction. 


Canapes arrived as soon as we were airborne: baba ganoush on labneh in the middle and basil marinated rather pungent olives on the left. I did not taste jamon and manchego on the right 


For starters, why not Loch Fyne Smoked Salmon, mustard dressing?


The choices for main dishes were Corn-fed chicken breast, Lamb hot pot, Mezze rigatoni. Lamb because of my middle eastern ancestral origins and the excellent cooking of my miami based sister, was my choice but by this time I was feeling rather full and i was slowly savouring my food (disfrutando is a nice spanish word to describe this feeling).

Another flute of champagne followed. In fact every thing was a decorative addition to the champagne..I felt that way.


On the side was sweetcorn gnocchi (have been a fan of gnocchi since my Buenos Aires visits), grilled broccolini, mediterranean vegies.

I did not mind at all that the flight today would take nearly one hour longer than normal, the headwind were heavy and at times troublesome for the first part of the journey but once we reached this side of the Atlantic the flight became very smooth.

I could read a little, I could write a little and fortunately the flight had high speed wifi connection which is always a blessing in that one can keep in touch with people that you want to keep in touch with and at the same time enjoy the stress free atmosphere of being ensconced in your favourite seat.

I could even make video calls but out of respect for the fellow passengers I did not do it. 

The lady had promised afternoon tea or High Tea and i began looking forward to it , in between dozing off and dreaming of return to Marrakech or Cochin or Siem Reap.

A little vanilla ice cream to wet the palate while waiting for my traditional afternoon tea.

It was good to watch live, all the flights headed towards Miami flying as in a formation, while actually miles apart: TAP from Lisboa, VS from London, BA from London, IB from Madrid and QR from Doha were all headed in my direction.


Long awaited tea arrived with scones and cream and jam and savouries and I enjoyed the Earl Grey Tea. It was served about one hour before arriving in Miami

I was not bored for a minute during the entire journey, I did not lament to myself how many more hours to go but enjoyed the experience of flying.




All good things must come to an end. The flight arrived in Miami and we parked at our gate. Because of Covid regulations they were asking passengers to alight by row and groups to avoid closer contact. Wearing masks throughout the flight (except eating and drinking) was required. 

I was surprised at the absence of any Public Health Officials on arrival. I was at the Global Entry machine and it spewed out a paper which I showed to the Immigration agent who asked, where are you coming from.

London, said I thinking of Bar Italia in Frith street in Soho.

Within one minute of approaching the machine, I was already out of the Customs hall and called for the arranged drive back to my sisters' home in Miami. 

Thank you BA

What lovely memories of Marrakech

I pray for the welfare of the young men from Goa for a career worthy of them in years to come. 

After a deep sleep, the morning broke well in South West part of Miami.

Felt grateful to be alive

With a strong cup of coffee in hand 

and opened the day for words and actions not yet imagined.





featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...