mardi 31 janvier 2023

DID THE ISRAELI DELEGATION EAT HERE IN AUGUST 2020? MY TAHER RESTO NEAR DJEM AL FINA MARRAKECH

I go past this restaurant every day usually more than once and always greet the gentleman at the front.  I had eaten at this place on a previous occasion. On days when you are not very hungry, a small meal with no too many accoutrements would be sufficient and they charge only 70 dirhams, around 7 dollars 

I was feeling the cold today, even though during the day it was 18 C, but this cold has a bone chilling effect. i did my usual amount of walking which keeps the body warm and the cafe au lait at the usual moroccan cafe and watching the people passing you by in Djem al Fina .. and  a pure squeezed pomegranate juice .. An afghani man was standing and we bemoaned the loss of freedom of education for afghani girls and women . I told him that is the fruit of Israel mentioned a couple of thousands of years ago in our books .  In another part of the medina, two arabs started speaking in spanish to me saying am I a mexican ? then I realized that these people are from Spanish Sahara now an integral part of Morocco.
A simple meal was appealing rather than go to upscale restaurants and I chose My Taher 
Salad Marocaine and Tajine Kefta with Mint tea at the end .

 I was enjoying the book by Alvaro Mutis about Maqroll and Abdul Bashur, when the attending person began to chat, in broken french, that makes it easier for me to understand . Who is Taher, I asked him, are you Taher? No, Taher is a Patron but he is now disabled and his son has taken over the duties of manager. But he has been working there for 21 years and he said I dont know whether to believe him or not, that he remembers me eating there a year ago, which I had .

A lot of the younger people in Morocco now speak English and they dont seem to like to speak French. A young mulato looking guying, tall and handsome, came in and began to talk to me as if he was like a translator between me and the attendant. The attendant, a father of three sons, (I am finished no more he said emphatically) was a close friend of the family and has been with them for a long time 
Then they asked me 
Where are you from ?
What is todays answer ?
Pomegranate Juice I thought to myself 
I am from Israel 
the attendant smiles , he says, an entire delegation of Israelis were here , eating couscous 
he wrote down the dates even and when i checked later it was true a group of israeli officials were in town for something or other.
there was police outside and people were curious about these visitors.   The Morocco Israeli diplomatic relationship dates only to late 2020 and soon they began direct flights to Marrakech from Tel Aviv and many businessmen and diplomats had made visits to Morocco . Yair Lapid the then PM visited in august 2021.

So I said to myself 
The Israelis ate here 
So it is good enough for me ..



featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...