mardi 10 janvier 2023

THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO FLY FROM PARIS TO ANY WHERE, THIS TIME TO MIAMI, AIR FRANCE, WHAT ELSE ?

My journey began today at the AF Lounge at Terminal 2 E at Paris CDG Charles de Gaulle Airport. I was a little peckish but did not wish to spoil my appetite for what was in store on AF90 to Miami.

With my complex relationship with France, I would always be grateful for the palate for champagne the country gifted me and I was happy for this first of the three champagnes that I would taste today .
From the website of Joseph Perrier 1825

Awakening Senses

Length, freshness, balance, elegance and light! The nose is delicate, fine and complex. Notes of green apple and vine peach bring a fruity touch. Nice roundness on the palate, long and refreshing finish.

I am lucky to be flying into CDG few times a year and my recent entry to CDG from North America was on American Airlines on which I hold the Executive Platinum Status. No service, No charm and No sophistication. How can you ask a nation that places no importance on elegance to teach you about fine dining especially flying long distances (No more Prosecco on plastic tumblers for me, PLEASE). I decided I will accrue the Platinum status on Flying Blue, the Air France Frequent Flier Programme in 2023. I quickly boarded the flight, shown to my seat by a friendly Flight attendant, that friendliness was to continue throughout the flight, by various personnel. All of them had a smile on their face.
The flight would be 9 hours at 40 minutes and I am almost always psychologically prepared for such a trip (I am used to 14 hour trips on Qatar Airways, the last one COK-DOH-IAD). I was in Seat 3 A with a certain amount of privacy
It was raining a little and the engine roared as it climbed over the clouds which offered no resistance. It was a remarkably smooth flight with the seat belt sign coming on not even once during the entire journey
I took the photo of the sky, to remind myself of my days in France and also I know what it would look like when we approach Miami.
I had spent the past few days in Tunisia and my palate had not taken to Tunisian wines! I was happy to be on this AF flight contemplating my meal and the Champagne of course ..
I chose the Brandade de cabillaud et salmon..
The champagne was delightful even though there was a surprise in store. 

From the Menu: The finesse of the chardonnay is underpinned by a structured finish of Pinots Noirs intense with red berries. The signature cuvée of this family-owned and independent wine producer since 1859

Mise en bouche was Beet mousse with cheese crumbles fitted well with this champagne 

In France, my connection is with Bretagne and I fondly looked down, thinking of that familiar landscape.
One thing you could say about the AF crew is that they make you believe you are in a movie scene watching a story unfold and the announcements,in french,  over the PA system sounding like some melodramatic committments to eternal love. Like Gabo would say, era inevitable .

At this time the chief Purser who had received us at the gate put in an appearance. I knew from his bearing that this french gentleman has some other input ancestrally and turned out that he was from Martinique but lives in Barcelona (his spanish is deeply french accented). Yesterday on my flight from Tunis to CDG it was Anne-Laure from Guyane Francais ..I made a mental note to visit these outlying morsels of french culture .. Wallis et Futuna , St Pierre et Miquelon, St Barts...

I am a great fan of smoked salmon, a habit picked up during university days in London, strangely enough..
A beaming chief purser theatrically hands over a La Premiere Menu and invites me to try a glass of their champagne..

Definitely a superior one.. 

from the web:

On the nose: It is particularly elegant and ethereal on the nose, releasing delicate notes of white flowers mingled with delicious aromas of nectarine and Mirabelle plum.

On the palate: Clean and silky on entry to the palate, fulfilling the promise of the nose, this champagne is the quintessence of Amour de Deutz. It's aromatic score is wonderfully melodious with all its floral, fruity and mineral notes in perfect harmony.

As I told the purser and another crew: it is as if a liquid was slowly sailing through your throat ..


Most people think that champagne is to be drink in the begining and then put away, it can be drunk till the end, in this case , just a little while before the flight lands ..

The main dish of cabillaud et salmon was delicious and I sadly thought how much I am going to miss French food in the food desert that is USA.. (but I do look forward to my fellow french aficionado, Dr W to rescue me from that fate) 




 So, Air France, what else ?

Pleasant crew and food that brings credit to France, a very smooth flight and I have noticed that the french passengers were well behaved in my section of the plane, with nary a sound from anyone.. the cabin was very quiet throughout the flight ..

My next Air France flight would be a return flight Miami to Paris ..around mid april..

On approach to Miami, the sea was unusually calm and some clouds dressed up to welcome this visitor from France AF 90




and happy to have met Joel, the chief Purser .. a delightful person.

Air France, What else ?

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...