jeudi 5 janvier 2023

A JEWISH RESTAURANT IN THE HEART OF DJERBAHOOD IN ERRIADH IN DJERBA. TUNISIA

It was late evening and felt trying out the Kosher places in Djerbahood in Erriadh, 7 km south of Houmt Souk and within walking distance of the famous El Ghriba synagogue in Djerba, the Tunisian island.
Jews of Djerba speak Hebrew, Arabic, French and Tunisian Jewish Arabic to varying degrees of proficiency.
I had earlier met Yafa Trabellsi and had talked briefly with him and now it was the time to try his wares.


Bric avec Poulet, a wafery thin pastry filled with Chicken.

Is it similar to Burek? I am sure that the entire meditarranean rim and to the east to Iran, there are some pastry filled with Tuna or Chicken of similar make up, like an Empada or Samosa etc.

The owner and I had a nice chat together. The previous minister of Tourism in Tunisia was a Mr Rene Trabellsi. (he is from Djerba)

This one is Fricasse. Both Bric and Fricasse are very popular in Tunisia
To all the lovers of Tunisia and its unique kemia (assortment of appetizers), how could we forget the fricassés? How can we feature banatagebrikmininaharissa, or the Tunisian Italian bread without mentioning the famous little Tunisian fricassé that you can eat in two bites?

In our mischpochah, almost every one, sefardic, mizrahi or ashkenazi, is a foodie .. So I was thinking of them.. I bought home made biscuits called Luziya with almonds, hoping they would last as long as my next visit to mon petite frere, Mordecai and his wife Gretel.
I was able to procure a book of Djerbian recipes .. ah how I would like a shakshouka for Lunch ..



featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...