dimanche 8 janvier 2023

MAJESTIC HOTEL IN TUNIS : A PIECE OF HISTORY TO RELIVE

A CENTURY OF HISTORY 
In 1913, when its construction was completed, the Majestic Hotel, then, unique Palace of the capital, was the property of René Kisraoui. Commandeered from November 1942 to May 1943 by the German army, it became the headquarters of the "Kommandantur" then the HQ of the American army after the liberation.
Up until the early 60s, President Bourguiba used to meet the foreign heads of states, official guests of the republic of Tunisia, at the Majestic hotel.
Renowned French and other artists, who came to Tunis to give concerts and recitals, have also stayed at the Majestic Hotel which accommodated artists like Brassens, Barbara, Aznavour, the Platters, Luis Mariano, Bécaud, to name but a few.


When I say I have been lucky at travels around the world, I suppose it is a kind of a construction. Nothing happens without a reason, Native people would say. 
Nowadays most people choose their own hotels prompted by hotel platforms on line , which spew fear into you, the days you have chosen is very popular, the last room available etc. 
There were two hotels which attracted my attention, Majestic was one of them. Tunisians are friendly people and those in the hotel industry even more so and I was very warmly welcomed by the staff and especially by Ramy who is at the front desk. 
It is at Ave de Paris just a very short walk from Ave Habib Bourguiba and also around the corner from Café Corsé where i like to sit and chat with the owner while he streamed delightful music.







I had checked in very late after my 35 minute flight from Djerba was delayed for 7 hours on Tunisair (mental note not to fly them again). I asked for my friend Ramy and the receptionist had a nice smile for me and assigned me room 326.
Almost all workers in the hospitality industry are men, including waiters at restaurants.




This is what would be called a Suite in other countries and here it is called a Superior Room. Spacious bedrooma and a reception area, separate toilet and large bathroom.  I am very satisfied.. to say the least and enjoyed the good wifi connection.

By a quirk of Airline Management Mavens, TUN is a good spot to start your Comfortable journey either west via Air France or to the East with the usual airlines.. My last visit was Miami-Tunis-Bangkok using two different airlines with a very acceptable airfare..
See you again, TUN. TUNIS 

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...