samedi 12 octobre 2019

LEAVING BRISTOW'S LIGHTHOUSE BUNGALOW IN FORT COCHIN, KERALA, INDIA

I had a delightful 10 day stay at the only hotel facing the Arabian Sea at the historic town of Fort Cochin, near the Indian city of Ernakulum in Kerala, India.
Fort Cochin in its  600 odd years of existence (1341 CE), it had received a long list of illustrious visitors, the first among whom was the great Chinese general Zheng He (he left the fishing nets now called Chinese fishing nets). Zheng He visited Cochin four times. in 1500 it was the turn of the Portuguese under the great sailor, Vasco da Gama, who incidentally died in Cochin. All the while the connection to Mesopotamia, Israel, Yemen continued. Then came the Dutch and finally the British. There were local Rajahs, Zamorin of Calicut and other players. I think Ibn Batuta certainly put in an appearance and perhaps even Marco Polo (Cochin possibly did not exist but Muziris did exist up the coast).
Now it has been my turn to turn up at this town. and I always stay at the Bristow Lighthouse Hotel. The GM, Mr Rajesh is extremely hospitable and I am well looked after here. I stayed 10 days and the hotel was my main location. I would go for a walk nearby, but always with sea within the view. I refuse to eat European food while at the hotel, and the chef usually has an innovative Kerals style dish for dinner, with a chilled glass of wine to soothe the tonsils of the fire of the curry.
It was time to leave. I was leaving this tranquility for Paris, on my favourite airline, Qatar Airways. Mr Arvind the Front desk manager suggested that it might be a good gesture if I said good bye personally to all the staff, about 28 of them! It was a sheer pleasure 
 These Cuban dolls will greet you at the reception of the Bristow Lighthouse Bungalow Hotel
 The dining is attached and has a wonderful view of the Arabian sea and on some mornings you can catch glimpses of a dolphin or two 














 One of the two drivers employed by the hotel was eager to take me to the airport. I call him Manolo, his real name is Emmanuel, the other driver being Viji. I try to learn their names and also where they are from, since the majority of the staff are from out of state. 
These journeys are becoming routine to me, as I have been to Fort Cochin so many times, and it is the only place in India that I know.
 Felt a little sad leaving the place, the backwaters soon appears and soon it is on to India and its bustle and hustle.

The Lounge at Cochin International airport is comfortable and there is always a good selection of local food . I know i would be served a sumptous lunch onboard Qatar Airways so I tried to decreae the amount here at the Lounge
 Thinking of my brother Eliyahu who loves Idlys, I had one Idly with Coconut Chutney as well as Sambar.
I hardly ever buy anything at Airport shops, but in Cochin I know a store that sells scarves hand stitched by indigenous people and I decided to add this one to my indigenous scarves.
Soon time to board Qatar Airways flight to Doha, 4 hours and 10 minutes, and the Flight attendant on my side was Jamaica, from Philippines.
Until we see each other again, Good bye to Fort Cochin

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...