samedi 12 octobre 2019

LONGINGS ANORANSA SAUDADE FOR IRAN



SAUDADE FOR IRAN
Saudade is my favourite Portuguese word, which has been translated into many forms of nostalgia, anoransa en Spanish, longings in English but I have my own definition of Saudade
THE SENSATION OF HAVING LOST SOMETHING EVEN BEFORE YOU HAD IT
On a recent trip to my favourite haunt in fort Cochin, the Bristow Lighthouse Bungalow, I became much closer to Iran, feeling its pulse close to my heart.
It is as if I am in love with IRAN
When did it began?
My biological father had worked in Abadan, he told me
And he drew a magical place In my head, a place called IRAN..
So many other countries have come into my life since then
Brunei, Australia, Sweden, England, France, Belgium, USA, Jamaica, Cuba, Mexico, Argentina
But I have never forgotten you. IRAN
Kuala Lumpur, University of Reading, Persian meals in KL and Omaha, Nebraska
Poetry arrived
Films arrived
People arrived
All bringing that flavor of Iran enhancing the fragrance that was already kept in my brain.
A new phase of Iran in my heart has begun
With singers
Dariush Egbali
Faramarz Aslani
Siavash Ghomayshi
Moein

When I left Fort Cochin a few days ago, I decided not to listen to Iranian music thus sparing my heart of the agony of its piercing nostalgia.
Today I asked a friend of mine to transliterate and translate a song by Dariush
I listened to the song in Iranian first
Then followed it in transliterated Farsi
Then the third time in its English translation.


سراب رد پای تو، کجای جاده پیدا شد
کجا دستاتو گم کردم، که پایان من اینجا شد

کجای قصه خوابیدی، که من تو گریه بیدارم
که هر شب هرم دستاتو، به آغوشم بدهکارم

تو با دلتنگیای من، تو با این جاده هم دستی
تظاهر کن ازم دوری، تظاهر می کنم هستی

تو آهنگ سکوت تو، به دنبال یه تسکینم
صدایی تو جهانم نیست، فقط تصویر می بینم

یه حسی از تو در من هست، که می دونم تورو دارم
واسه برگشتنت هرشب، درارو باز می زارم
:Saraabe radde paye to , kojaye jadde peyda shod

In which part of the road , the mirage of your footprint was found ?
Koja Dastato gom kardam , ke payane man inja shod

Where I lost your hands that my fate  came here .
Kojaye ghese khabidi , ke man too gerye bidaram

In which part of the story, you are asleep as I am awake while crying ( or in cry ) ?
Ke har shab horme dastato , be aghoosham bedeh karam

I owe my embrace the warmth of your hands
To ba del tangi haye man , to ba in jade hamdasti

You are accompliced to my glooms ( misses) and this road
Tazahor kon azam doori , tazahor mikonam hasti

Pretend that you are far from me , I pretend that you are
Too ahange sokoote to ,be donbale ye taskinam

I am looking for some relief in the song of your silence
Sedaee too jahanam nist ,faghat tasvir mibinam

There is no voice in my world , I just only see picture
Ye hessi az to dar man hast , ke midoonam toro daram

There is a feeling of you in me that I have you
Vase bargashtanet har shab , Dararo baz mizaram

I open all doors for your returning every night

My mind was so full of Saudade
And the words began flowing and I noted it down
Thank you Dariush..

Which of your sensitive footsteps
Treaded my tender heart?
That last clasp of your hand
Leaves me with a nostalgia
Seek your embrace
Now disappeared into the veils of oblivion
No amount of my tears will bring you back
The last gentle touch leaves my hand
Leaves my heart wounded open
That distant figure on the path of forgetfulness
Was it you?
Will you ever come back to me?
Once in a dream,
To wipe these tears of your absence


It is a lovely morning here in Miami.
I am thinking of all that is sensitive to my heart
The sprouts breaking through the cracks of the building falling down in my neighbourhood in Vedado, Havana
The smell of the bakery as I go for my morning walk
The sensation of entering Qatar Airways flight
That great bakery in the sky
Love alone is inexhaustible

Cuba; Quiberon, France; Thailand, Malaysia, Siem Reap…all temptations lining up with their embraces.

Thank you
My dear friends in IRAN
عشق. Eshgh. Love








featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...