samedi 20 juin 2020

WE WILL MEET AGAIN DAME VERA LYNN ECHOES IN MIAMI

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do
'Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away
So will you please say hello
To the folks that I know
Tell them I won't be long
They'll be happy to know
That as you saw me go
I was singing this song
We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day


If you were an unashamed colonial like I was growing up (I visited the Colonial office which was a shadow of what it was when I first visited it, as Britain had just 7 colonies left!), somewhere in your childhood you would have heard this song 
WE WILL MEET AGAIN 
In fact I remember the first time I heard that song, while I was waiting for a bus in an Adelaide, Australia.
There was a graffiti on the wall, which said. Most men Eat, FU MAN CHU... some how left an impression and then this song.

From Monocle 
20.06.2020
 I wrote about the street singalong that happens every Thursday in my neighbourhood, led by William Spaulding, chorus director of the Royal Opera House. This week he was accompanied by a member of the chorus who, as a tribute to Vera Lynn, paused proceedings to sing “We’ll Meet Again”. Surrounded by the houses, with the tree canopy acting as a makeshift opera-house roof, her voice gave echo to the past. But as you looked around and saw kids dancing and people of every age and background listening and singing along (how do people in their twenties know the words?), she also gave voice to hopes for a better future – whatever that turns out to be.
(Andew Tuck, Monocle. If you are not aware of this magazine I highly recommend it. Along with The Economist and The New York Times, they are my favourite reads of the day)

Dame Vera Lynn died in England aged 103.
Poignantly, her death came on the 80th anniversary of Charles de Gaulle's "Appel" to French people to fight Nazi occupation, marked in London yesterday by Prince Charles, Boris Johnson and French President Emmanuel Macron.
part of the speech of Charles de Gaulle 
on June 18, 1940
Appeal of 18 June (FrenchL'Appel du 18 juin)

June 19th which hopefully would be made into a National Holiday in the USA (especially with a more sensitive President and a sympathetic Senate)
is also significant to a large swath of people in the USA : signifying the end of slavery in 1865. The celebrations began in Texas (paradoxically enough). 


20.06.2020 Miami
Lovely day here
Cuba is closed. Airports may not open until August 1st, perhaps even September 1. 2020

In the meantime, no lament about Qatar Airways seat 1 K !
2020 started in  Cochin, India followed by a brief stay in Muscat, Oman and then Havana, Cuba. Not much prospects about long distance travel in 2020, after a year of extensive travel in 2019..
In the mean time to my friends in 

Austria 
France
Spain 
Israel
India 
Malaysia 
Cambodia 
Vietnam 
Australia 
Cuba 
Argentina 
Rapa Nui
Mexico
Iran
and this LONELY PLANET now..

we will meet again ..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...