vendredi 5 avril 2019

WONDERFUL TIME IN HAVANA . THE MAGIC NEVER ENDS

I have been travelling for a few weeks since my departure from Havana and which took me to various continents, so this visit was special to be able to enjoy the magic, the ambiance, the people and the environment and the surrealism of Cuba and especially Havana and specifically my neighbourhood of Vedado.
Here is a photographic journey (with comments)
 I like Miami airport and whenever I pass this sign, I take a moment to savour it.
 Airports are not usually known for their culinary offerings, but the Flagship Lounge of American Airlines at D Concourse is an exception. I normally get there with time to spare to enjoy a repast.

 Today I could get a freshly made Omelette with substances in it good for my microbiome and also avoiding Tomato and other nasties for my bugs in the guts.
 I enjoyed my breakfast
 It is a very short flight, 45 minutes to Havana but never could you imagine the difference between Miami which is heavily spanish speaking and Havana, the waking walking dream
 While waiting for the luggage, I joked with the Customs official that he should go kindly with my luggage but there was no need for any checking of luggage as I just walked through after getting my luggage 
 My faithful driver who is one of the nicest Cubans that I know was waiting and he is so pleased to see me that he hugs and welcomes me with a shower of words 
I arrive to Cuba heavily laden, usually two checked in bags and two carry ons and my driver is always helpful



 While the path to my home in Vedado is so familiar but the sights are still welcome as I personally feel welcomed by them.


 Entrance to the alley where my flat is situated built by a Cuban jew before the revolution of 1959, a certain Isaac Gurewich
 While it is fashionable to refer to Americans of African ancestry as African-Americans, in Cuba the term Afro-cubano generally refers to the culture that has survived which the slaves had brought over. Current social or economic or political situations are not referred to as Afro-Cuban and of course there is no word here in the language or in the thinking, People of Colour..that concept does not exist ..
 Blue blue skies and buildings from another time piercing the skies 
 A favourite stop for me is CubaPasion just across from the Hotel Colina up from Hotel Havana LIbre (ex Hilton)

 A pina colada and grilled octopus (favourite of a good friend of mine from Miami)
 I spent a little bit of time reading Finding George Orwell in Burma occasionally interrupted by pleasantries exchanged with Caro an old friend and Aileth a new friend.

 They both are university students working at CubaPasion Bar and Resto during the weekend
 The owner, an agreeable gent from Belgium was not there but his stand in, including the cigar in his mouth and a glass of red wine in hand, offered me a cigar which I gratefully accepted.
 The days are becoming longer in our island and it is good to catch the sunsets, each day around 7 30 pm


 walking around, one can see gorgeous building, elegant like parisienne madames







 Everywhere you look, the Habaneros carry themselves as movement as art. with antique cars providing an inspiring backdrop
 US Embassy on your left, almost empty of any US employees but with some lucky Cuban ones and an occasional Cuban seeking a visa to his Sueno Americano


 El Burrito Habanero is a restaurant founded by my friend Xavier and I have noticed slight changes in the menu recently

 Arroz chorreado Pollo con arroz chorrera at Xaviers Resto
 Later at home I could enjoy a lovely Black Bean and Rice with shrimp prepared by my landlady who takes very good care of me
 The first modern Cultural Anthropologist who studied in St Petersburg in Russia under some Jewish professors. He has written about 15 books on the Afro Cuban religion rites and languages and is a wealth of information in this area.

 We promised to meet at his home in Regla (the centre of Cuban Santeria) on my next visit
 Visitors drop by the house and once again reinforces the friendship with each visit







 Decided to celebrate the birthday of a colleague and friend at my house with a small gathering of 10 people. The birthday girl offered to cook the star of the show, Lobster tails either in salsa or boiled with a touch of garlic and oil.


 A new friend, a doctor from Baracoa, who had spent 4 years in Venezuela and 3 in Brasil in the state of Acre as an International Volunteer. She bought her apartment in Havana and now has moved to the city, hopefully to do some postgraduate studies. Most Cuban doctors have one specialty Integrated Medicine, much similar to the Family Practice residencies in the USA


 I love maduros, the sweet plantain

 Everybody pitches in, doctor or professor or what not.

 I had bought one bottle each of a Shiraz, Merlot and Sauvignon Blanc and two bottles of Carmenere, all from Chile and there was no problem finishing off the five, they did taste good with the lobster and shrimps and rice 


 We now have Internet on our phones so we were able to talk (video) with a close friend who is presently in Mexico (a PhD in Psychology doing further research). This video talk from home would not have been possible a short three months ago
 Cuba is the most educated country on earth in my opinion. Here two old friends, one a professor of general medicine and the other a professor of Clinical Psychology specializing in Sexual Dysfunction.  Psychology of Sexual disorders is well advanced in Cuba


Feels so good to be part of Cuban society and life.
of the 10 people present, 6 had doctoral level education and the other 3 with the masters level and one university student.
It was time to leave ..
Driver arrives at 9 AM
the landlady had come early and prepared some fresh cuban coffee, an omelette with cheese ..

Havana airport is truly charmless, there is the monotonous offerings of kitch tourist stuff and rum and cigars. There are seats and there is wifi..so the one hour wait went so quickly..
43 minutes after taking off we landed in Miami, even though we had to cut through a storm in the Everglades.

Another world indeed...

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...