mardi 30 avril 2019

PAIN IS INEVITABLE, SUFFERING IS OPTIONAL

Haruki Murakami

“Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. Say you’re running and you think, ‘Man, this hurts, I can’t take it anymore. The ‘hurt’ part is an unavoidable reality, but whether or not you can stand anymore is up to the runner himself.”


― Haruki Murakami, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
He goes on to say that he just made it up.. and I admired his wit for that 

Today reading the wisdom of our rabbinical teachers I came across this one:

“Pain is a reality, suffering is a choice.” – Rabbi Asher Resnick

Pain, whether it’s physical or emotional, hurts but it is our choices that shape how it will affect our lives. - Tuvia Levin
It is nice to know the universality of certain thoughts..
Whenever I hear something similar, I am reminded of Wilma Mankiller, the late chief of the Cherokee Nation who said:
I cannot determine what the Great Spirit sends my way, but certainly I can decide how I respond to it..

Nice thoughts to begin your day
thinking of my friends in Iran , who have to daily decide how to deal with the emotional, psychological, economic and social problems they face, much of which are not of their making.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...