mercredi 29 mai 2019

WALKING ALONG WITH MEMORIES IN THE LANES OF DOWNTOWN RANGOON/YANGON

BURMA or as it is called now MYANMAR and/or Rangoon/Yangon always had a special tender attraction in my heart. I heard about them from my biological father during one of the few rare occasions we met and had a chat while I was growing up.
Rangoon, nationalism, timber merchants, Liberation movements, which jungle was he talking about.
I was trying to analyze in my own mind why I feel so attached to the chaos and disorder in this culture, in this city 
My sister and her husband sent me a note:
Mr Eddie Seaga left us for a better place today at 1 50 pm.

Rt.Hon. Edward Seaga who was the Prime Minister of Jamaica for many years, leader of opposition and the longest serving MP of Jamaican parliament, a member of the old school with firm values, incorruptible, a fine upright gentleman.
I am honoured to have known him.
May he rest in peace. 

While I was walking around the backstreets I came across the church and I thought it would be an appropriate to say a prayer to the departed soul of Mr. Seaga.
Everything seemed to get to be connected: Burma my father and Mr Seaga..



The church is in a street just behind my hotel and its tall presence  you can see it in the background.
I entered the church but it was locked shut and there were no human presence felt.
But I prayed for the soul of Mr Eddie Seaga, a grand metaphor for my erstwhile love for Jamaica and my life there during a short period in my life.

I admire the people who came around him and showed him love and respect during the last few days of his journey. May they be blessed as well.

Rangoon is famous for its many pagoda, so it is only universal that I, a Jew should pray at these Buddhist pagodas for an Anglican Christian with Lebanese Greek Orthodox roots and those around him who looked after him
So simple to offer a prayer
somehow that melts into the universe and the air carries it somewhere.. 

and I am in Rangoon where once my own father had stayed and plotted something against the ruling powers.. 

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...