vendredi 31 mai 2019

KADDISH FOR EDDIE IN RANGOON . RT HON EDWARD SEAGA OF JAMAICA

It was Friday and I had a superlative day visiting special places in Rangoon in Burma (Yangon in Myanmar).
The dusk was falling as I reached back at the hotel in Chinatown and keeping an eye on the falling night, as the Shabbat was approaching, I went rushing to the 25th street in downtown Rangoon.
I had only one purpose
to say Kaddish 
the Jewish Prayer for the Dead 
at this unique synagogue in the periphery of the Jewish world
for EDDIE , I never called him that, he was always Mr Seaga for me. I had first met him when he was the Prime Minister of Jamaica and had close contacts with his family. Recently I also met his immediate family of daughter and sons and wife.
After a brief struggle with his health, he passed away just a few days ago. this would be the first Shabbat that we have not had Mr Seaga amidst us since he stepped into the national limelight nearly 5 decades ago.
He was the son of Lebranese migrants who practised Greek Orthodox faith. He became an expert on Pocomania a syncretic african religious practice in Jamaica. He professed Anglicanism and in many ways he single handedly professed his national motto . Out of many, One

I was at 17th st and Anwharata Road in downtown Rangoon and began walking toward 25th street , past the 19th street which comes alive as the night steps in, making my way amidst a populace just enjoying the beginning of their weekend. 
The street in which the synagogue is located now is full of shops owned by Muslims. I stood in front of the synagogue, the history of which is rather interesting, founded by descendants of Iraqi merchants who had reached this outpost of British India.
I closed my eyes
shut out the noise 
and thought of Mr Edward Seaga 
and recited the Kaddish


 Mr. Seaga an exemplary Jamaican in many ways than one, may the soul rest in peace 

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...