mardi 14 mai 2019

A BRIGHT SUNNY DAY IN MIAMI

I am spending a few days in Miami. and it feels strange, as I am not used to being here as a person who lives here (which I did as a student and a trainee doctor) or a visitor ( I know Miami well).
But the feeling is that of an expatriate returning home and not quite fitting in. I have my sister here and my best friend also lives here, but I have noticed that I am not the same person as I am when I travel
In Burma or Cambodia I am so eager to make new friends and on each visit I come home loaded with memories of new friends whereas in Miami, I do not go out of my way to make new friends and the new friends I do make are not serendipitous but come through well known channels. I did make two new friends this visit and met some new people, who were left outside my Dunbar circle (of intimacy). Perhaps it is the quality and time to be spent. I am able to spend more time with friends in Asia and also it is quality time since we do not compare each other in terms of money status or social standing or posessions.
I do not have a car or a house or a TV, that makes me homeless in the USA but that has nothing to do with my interactions in Cambodia or Burma.
But I still enjoy the latin atmosphere of Miami..





If you ask me what is the best thing about Miami? for me?
I have no doubt 
the answer is 
Cuba 
I am just one hour away from my favourite island and my favourite city, San Cristobal de la Habana now celebrating 500th anniversary of its founding.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...