lundi 13 mai 2019

THE LITTLE BOATMAN OF THE AMAZON

I was at the wharf at Leticia in the Colombian Amazon when I saw a lonely little kayak barely out of the water being rowed by a boy no more than about five years old.
I watched him struggling at the high tide and pushing the boat with all his might.

I wondered what was he up to, a little boy in a rickety boat in the mighty Amazon. It soon became apparent.
There is a small island in the river just in front of the wharf called the Fantasy Island. During the low water level people can walk over there and many of them have houses. But when the water rises, it comes floods the walkway and the waterway.
the only way to go from the side of Leticia to the island is by boat and there are many people who do this on a regular basis.
But i have never seen an oarmen this young?
and what was he doing?
He had come to pick up his father and now they were going home to the Fantasy Island and he can relax and play
I watched them until they reached the other side and they both climbed into their house. The water has risen to the level of their living room (houses are on stilts)
I was happy they got home safe ..
and I had company while I watched this drama unfold.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...