mardi 7 mai 2019

GLOBAL HEALTH PHYSICIAN ANTHROPOLOGIST . DOES THAT EXIST ?


-->
Global Health Physician Anthropologist
Does such a person exist? Or are there many people do the work done by a Global Health Physician Anthropologist without calling themselves as such?
(participating in an educational seminar for Peer to Peer Educators at MoPoTsyo, Phnom Penh in Cambodia)

For example, MOPOTSYO Peer to Peer Education Programme in Phnom Penh, Cambodia run by the indefatigable Maurits Van Pelt is an example of Global Health Medical Anthropology. Each and every one of the Peer-to-Peer educators has to have a good understanding of the culture from which their patients come from, since they are the products of the same culture. Whilst they may not hold degrees in Health Education, the results show that their work is Health Education

I am a Physician Anthropologist and my arena is Global Health. I find it difficult to explain to people what is that I do. I realize that people set the limits or constraints on their “job” and if you are not independent, define “job” as something that pays.
I have done only one sort of “work” in my life, that of a Physician. I have been a Physician in training at Universities in Australia; have worked in USA, Jamaica, Cuba and have done medically focused visits to Namibia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Indonesia, Cambodia, Panama, to name a few countries.
(at Sule Shangri-La Hotel in Yangon, Myanmar . 2019)

I will give you an example of my “job” or my “work” (I do not consider what I do as Job or Work, I feel I am grateful to be of help and being put in situations where I tend to learn a lot)

I arrived at Miami International Airport this morning at 11 am. There was a text message from my sister: Someone wants to speak to you about Immunotherapy for Cancer as his or her father was undergoing Immunotherapy for Cancer. They live in another country.
Last night at 8 pm, I had left the small airport at Leticia in the Colombian Amazon. I spent the night at the airport at Bogota, at the El Dorado Lounge as well as the LaTam VIP lounge . No shortage of food but certainly a shortage of SLEEP.
As soon as I arrived in Miami, had a shower and shave and prepared my self for the task of counselling an educated family from a different cultural background (I had worked in their country). Strangely enough I did not feel tired at all.
(I am a great believer in the transaction of symbols. While I normally do not wear my Cuban guayabera that I wear while giving lectures in Havana, today I wore the same guayabera while preparing myself to counsel. I did not wish to appear too casual)(this photo was taken in Havana on another visit)

Yesterday afternoon, while I was having a Tinto at a favourite café in Leticia in the Colombian Amazon, the owner told me of her chronic sinusitis/rhinitis of her husband who has been advised to have surgery in Bogota.
(view of the local library and museum from where I am sitting at the cafe antioqueno)
I had a bottle of saline solution in my medical bag; I gave it to him, and taught him the technique of rinsing of the nostrils as well as Pranayama. The couple was from Antioquia and had been living in the Amazon region for many years and he was a little resistant to the idea of Pranayama for Chronic Sinusitis, but said he will try.
Then I went on to witness the millions of birds returning from the forest, creating a deadening but well coordinated choreography in the skies.





Earlier in the day, for lunch, at Govinda’s, I enjoyed a vegetarian lunch (Colombians are carnivores!) with a Cuban friend of mine. She had come to Colombia many years ago, got married and now works as a Music teacher in Leticia, Colombia. We usually talk about Cuba and on this occasion she mentioned that she had been diagnosed as a Pre-Diabetic and just by switching to fish and vegetables from meat and chicken she had been able to reduce 12 kg. I recommended that while she is in Cuba next month, to make an appointment at the Centro Atencion de Diabetes: to talk to an Endocrinologist, a psychologist and a Health educator as well as get her feet and eyes checked.  These are the rights of any Cubans born in Cuba, despite living abroad.

The conditions of medical care in Colombia, under a system of Public and Private care, is not at all public health oriented but treatment oriented and money oriented as in many developing countries.


The main purpose of my visit to the Amazon region was to increase my contact and their confidence in me of a small group of Indians. A young woman and her family met me in Leticia and we shared mouthwatering Arepa con Queso along with some fresh juice (Guanabana, mora among others).

I spent a very long time discussing the physical, mental and emotional as well as the spiritual health (as it affects the physical health). The tribe is free of industrial diseases (diabetes, hypertension etc.) but recently has had a spate of youth suicides: unable to integrate into the greater society away from their villages, seeing the destruction of the habitat physically and emotionally, the incursion into their intact spiritual life by outsiders, were all given as the cause for the rise in violence and suicide. While the big narco-traffickers are long gone, there are still small time traffickers along the fluid borders between Brasil, Colombia and Peru.
(this young lady wishes to become a Peer to Peer Spiritual Educator for her tribe along the Amazon River)


I am in the process of forming an NGO to help the indigenous peoples deal with the onslaught of these metabolic illnesses. My model certainly would be MoPoTsyo of Maurits Van Pelt in Phnom Penh in Cambodia.
More information on that later, and your participation would be welcome




Before she left to go to her village, she put a traditional tattoo in my arm. It would stay there for two weeks, a constant reminder of my commitment to this tribe in the Amazon.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...