mardi 7 août 2018

PABLO NERUDA IN QUIBERON, BRITTANY, FRANCE

The beautiful peninsula of Quiberon in Brittany in the west of France attracts many visitors mostly French and it is a favourite spot for grandparents who may have homes here to spend the holidays with their grandchildren.
Between Easter and the Toussaint holidays there is a steady stream of visitors, peaking during the months of July and August. During the winter months, which are mild here, it is a lovely place of calm and quiet with most of the tourists gone, almost all the stores shut except the essential ones and to enjoy the serenity of the place.
When I first came here about 10 years ago, I noticed a sculpture of a Fish facing the ocean and was more than delighted that the sculpture was dedicated to none other than our beloved Pablo Neruda from Chile and an appropriate poem engraved.
Here it is



Pablo Neruda, the greatest poet of the XX century as Gabo named him, was eternally attracted to sea, water and foam and the wild coasts of his own country, Chile.
He maintained two residences, one in Valparaiso with a motive of a boat floating in waters and the other down the coast at Isla Negra. His Santiago residence, La Chascona, is in the centre of town.
 Whenever I am in Quiberon I am reminded of Isla Negra the coastal home of Pablo Neruda (above)
This is La Sebastiana in Valparaiso where Pablo entertained his friends also.

His poetry is immortal, and I carry his poems in my heart. Who can forget Josie Bliss of Rangoon or the one about If You forget me.. among the hundreds of others.

I cannot have Isla Negra but I can have Pablo Neruda in Quiberon 

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...