mercredi 15 août 2018

ARRIVAL AT HAVANA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TERMINAL 3.. BIENVENIDOS


There was a time when I approached the Immigration and customs at Havana airport with great trepidation. In those days, there were only charter flights to Cuba and I was always singled out as an educational case for up and coming interrogators from the State Security. Apart from the annoyance, I would help the young ones along, helping them with their questioning, and giving them answers they want to hear, at all times writing everything down nearly in a piece of paper, (where are the tons of such papers?)
Very seldom was my luggage checked and after an hour or so of waiting I was sent on my merry way. While waiting, I used to console myself, just guess what is waiting for me on the other side? Always, friends, some of whom have left graciously without leaving footprints, but lately for the past two years it has been Yodel my faithful chauffeur.
With the ascendancy of Obama, regular flights became operational and travel to Cuba became very easy for me. No more weighing your bag and charging you 2 dollars per pound like the Charter companies do. I have status with AAirlines and I am allowed to bring two bags and I am usually upgraded. It is a short flight, today it took only 40 minutes but the possibility of getting out first and then presenting yourself at the shortest possible, is satisfying.
The Immigration hall was beginning to stir with the Cancun flight and our flight arriving around the same time. I saw the young man at the VIP Diplomatic line was free, I presented myself, jokingly, treat me like a Diplomat, and within 30 second, picture taken and passport stamped I was on the other side.
Two young women, were at the screening, they are actually screening your hand luggage which happens in many countries on arrival, I can think of Malaysia for example. I had cheese from France and Salmon from Miami and other edible things, which are not strictly forbidden, but a disinterested but stern member of the State Security, as are all the Customs agents, could have made my life difficult. I handed my health card to the doctors and nurses at the station and proudly said, Like you I am also an International Doctor and elicited a kind smile from them.
I was in an extraordinarily good mood.
There was something so attractive about this country, the way people move, with such dignified languor and the energetic atmosphere of the customs all. I felt close to them.
I was resigned to wait for my bags but much to my surprise, my two bags arrived quickly one of which had the mark Ax on it, that means Alimentacion, Food stuff. I stood in line and a very gentle older lady opened my bag I told her I am Jewish and I cant eat pork or pork products so I have to bring tinned salmon with me. She did a cursory look and stamped my luggage tag and within a minute I was on the other side, where a milling crowd was waiting for loved ones, and owners of private homes licensed to rent, waiting for their clients.
I went outside, changed some Euros into the Cuban Tourist Dollar which is on par with USD but if you try to change USD, they charge you about 13 per cent .. getting about 87 cents of the tourist dollar to a Greenback.
Within minutes I could see the blue car cruising towards me and my chauffeur greeted with effusiveness which is rare in other countries. He has been my driver for over two years and we have a nice understanding between us. He helps me and I help him.
A friend of mine from Moscow, an artist, had wanted some photos of Havana and with that in mind, I was taking pictures of scenes which I have seen a thousand times but still appearing warm and welcoming to my eyes. I took picturs of a Lada at least 30 years old and motorcycles of the Soviet era. We passed by some soviet style buildings and soon I was entering the familiar sights and streets and trees and monuments of my suburb, Vedado.
More photos and the chauffeur takes my bags to the entrance to my apartment. I see my neighbours who were in their balconies waving to me with great enthusiasm, that mad my chauffeur remark: they do love you, don’t they?
In Miami, I am usually asked by people, why don’t you stay here rather than going to Havana  and I tell them I go to Havana to be with my friends!
I am happy to be back, outside it is hot as hell, but inside the air conditioned comfort of my apartment, I am content to listen to music, read and write and think of my friends and family in
Miami
Portland
Indian families of various tribes
Quiberon
Haifa
Kuala lumpur, Fort Cochin
And some new friends who have entered my life
Russia, Maroc..


featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...