vendredi 31 août 2018

LONG JOURNEY FROM MIAMI FLORIDA TO QUIBERON BRITTANY FRANCE

If not for a turn of fate, France would have not been in my worldview. During the time I studied in London, did not have much of a desire to visit France, despite the proximity.
Things turned out differently, for better or worse, I make the journey from La Habana/Miami to France on  reasonably regular intervals.
There are holiday periods that France is best avoided but even with this knowledge I seem to get caught in it. The month of August is ending, so are the month long holidays for half the French workers as well as the students who prepare to "reentre" on the first working day in September.
When I checked some months ago for  flight to Paris on the 27th August, nothing that suited my taste in trael appeared. All flights to Paris were full, but a kind agent found a seat for me to Barcelona. I never thought it would be this difficult to get from barcelona to Paris,  I was forced,  to fly to Madrid and then after a long break (at the Lounge) arrive at Paris close to midnight. Had to beak the journey in Paris and then on to Quiberon, my final destination, the journey taking 48 hours instead of the 24 hours.
All flights were full, the airports and the railway station looked like refugee centres for the French trying to get back home, everyone with large bags and sundries.
I confirmed my earlier suspicion that service on the world's airlines are decreasing rapidly and when I loose my privileges of flying certain airlines, I probably would stop flying. 
One such privilege was that I was upgraded on my journey: Miami to Barcelona on American as well as Madrid to Paris, making the journey more bearable. Having wifi on AA made sure that the time flitted past.
American Airlines Miami to Barcelona
Lounge in Barcelona
Barcelona to Madrid   Iberia 
Lounge in Madrid  (I recognized the lounge)
Madrid to Paris  Iberia 
IHG Holiday Inn Express at CDG
SNCF CDG to Rennes to Auray, then to Quiberon
 That morning I had gone walking for exercise amidst the tranquil roads and canals where my sister lives in Miami.
Even though I would be gone for more than two weeks in 
France, Belgium, Israel and Qatar, I had a small carry on luggage and a shoulder bag.
 As usual, the taxi driver was a Venuzuelan, reflecting the recent exodus of qualified people from that tragic country.

While walking towards the Flagship lounge at D30 it was nice to see a display of Tortuga Rum Cakes at Books and Books (an Institution in Miami as is the founder, Mitchell Kaplan). Tortuga Rum Cakes which is the number 1 export from Cayman Islands, is strongly associated with my sisters daughter and her husband. 
 The Flagship Lounge is an innovation of American Airlines, much higher in quality to their regular Lounges. As you can see the best food offerings : healthy and interesting such as the above Zuchini latkes
 This was my meal at the Club, a small piece of fish and others were all salads, as well as Zuchini Latkes.
 Nice to begin the journey with a glass of champagne
an unique way to present sugar for use .
 American Airlines have these reverse herringbone style seats and they were comfortable to say the least.
 You almost always get a good view of Miami as you take off.
 American Airlines cabin staff based in Miami have a reputation for poor service and on this trip they didnt do much to improve their reputation. The service was poor. They wanted to serve you food and get out of the way and were not seen for much of the rest of the flight.
But the best show was outside the aircraft with a stunning sunset presenting tableaus of colours

 I had preordered Salmon and the presentation and quality was okay. I usually have ice cream on these flights, for no other reason than to sweeten the bitterness of poor service..
 The flight has wifi and when connected, was able to chat with friends from far and wide. Unfortunately didn't sleep much either.
 The map of the journey showed also the sky ahead and the milky way shone bright and while I was taking a photo of it, my face was reflected onto the phot 
The screen shot of a flight app, shows the crowded skies of eastbound traffic from the USA to Europe. this is the most heavily travelled air corridor in the world (long distance)

 Just before arriving in Barcelona, an ordinary breakfast was served.
Service without a smile, of course.. (it made me long for Qatar Airways, I will be flying them shortly from Doha to Miami)


 Approaching Barcelona airport 
 Barcelona airport above and the view from the lounge below.

a small lounge, comfortable and not crowded at the time I was going to fly.

 The facilities at Madrid airport was superior and the food was varied. and one could have a shower as well (below)

 On account of my FF status on Qatar Airways, I was upgraded on the Madrid to Paris flight. As I am abstaining from meat altogether, I enjoyed the salad and rice that came with offering. The Verdejo from Spain was drinkable 
 It was close to midnight arriving at the hotel in Paris and ther was a lovely moon over the hotel silhoutte
 Entrance to the IHG Holiday Inn Express, a nice hotel for a transit stay at CDG airport in Paris 

 This rather new hotel had the facilities necessary.
Being an american chain, I was not surprised to see very poor quality breakfast, self service the type you see in USA hotels.
 A nice shower is always welcome and by noon I was at the raiway station which looked like a camp for displaced persons, metaphorically yes, with their large bags.
I had managed to snag some good fares, and soon was ensconced in a comfortable seat watching the French countryside passing by. The train was quite rapid.


 The train from Rennes to Auray 
  At Auray, I changed into a smaller train going to Quiberon and once again the train journey was comfortable . and one could see the  
 bay and the sea approaching 

I reached the house of my Breton host 48 hours after leaving Miami and the typical Breton hospitality, a nice healthy meal was waiting.

My sister had sent the host a gift from Jamaica wrapped in a Jamaican flag which the host was proud to display.
A long but nevertheless enjoyable journey.
there was wi fi on the plane from Miami to Barcelona and the train from CDG to Rennes as well as at the airport and the hotel.
Thanks to all my friends who through their messages and emails kept me company, from different parts of the world.
This journey was also memorable for a long chat with a friend from Asia. 

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...