mercredi 15 août 2018

INTERNET AND WIFI IN MY CITY OF HAVANA..THANK GOD FOR CHAVEZ, OBAMA AND RAUL


Internet in Havana.. Good or Bad
When I am in Havana I have a sense of freedom from the web, since I definitely do not want Wi-Fi piped into my house. And Cubans love to visit and talk and my house, which is centrally located, is never short of visitors.
This morning I went to the parquet two short blocks away to check on my mail and messages. The Sunday Morning was quiet and there were fewer people in the park than normal.
The connection speed and clarity was good as it was to become evident, as I received the first of the telephone calls this morning.
My sister is worried about a patient in Jamaica who has been given the diagnosis of Lymphoma and I had to calm her telling that it is not a death sentence as people believe it to be, but I need more information on the pathology. As she had to come from Jamaica and handle of some of the financial burden of treatment, an additional burden on my sisters shoulders.
I was checking my mail when she called me to find out whether I had organized an appointment for an Ophthalmologist at BPEI, at UM, one of the best eye institutes in USA. She shares my dislike of eye doctors especially ODs in private practice whose eyes seem to glean at the silver dollar than the necessity for retinal scans on a healthy patient. My good friend and doctor MW organized it quickly and that left my sister very happy.
On these accounts, to have Wi-Fi connection and telephone calls through whatsApp was certainly a blessing.
Then came another call, this time from a good friend in Cochin.
Receiving and making calls from Cuba until quite recently (when Chavez connected Cuba to the Internet through a cable), was a surrealistic experience that affected your mind and your wallet. Once I was surprised when I checked my telephone bill in Miami to find that a single call to Havana had cost me 125 dollars, bringing the monthly total to over 500 dollars. Those days are over thanks to Chavez and Obama even though I am hearing about cyber attacks on the fledgling web system of Cuba where they try to provide the same service to every one
The next call was from Fort Cochin from a dear friend who wants some advice about starting a clinic (free or near free) in Nellspruit in South Africa. We discussed the humanitarian medical efforts of Cuba and that I would look into getting some aid from this end. We had a nice and long chat which until recently wouldn’t have been possible and to think that it was totally free!

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...