samedi 18 août 2018

THE EUPHORIA OF LIVING IN HAVANA, CUBA


The euphoria of the week in Havana was such that the intense search I was subjected to by TSA (they were testing something or other in their CLT station). I joked with the agents, who seemed to be annoyed at having to check me but went through the procedure very well, pleasing for me to see this improvement in American Border Security, remembering how lax it used to be before 2001. What is this thing you have about turtle? One agent asked me, having seen a couple of small turtle figures in my bag. I had to explain that if you view North American Continent from the space, it is in the form of a turtle and the ancients knew that, and of course it was very arrogant of the European explorers to name their continent after a minor merchant who has long been forgotten.
What is this, hemp? An agent joked, I said if I had been caught in Cuba, it would have been jail for me and it is quite legal in the USA, ha ha, but then told him that it was the sacred tobacco my Ojibway brother had harvested with which I recently prayed in the Bay of Brittany along with a young Australienne-Bretonne.
It is now back in the USA
My chauffeur in Cuba, Yodel, drove me to the airport, said to me: Cubans don’t realize that they loose their freedom when they move to the USA.. I thought about it, he has reasons to say so, life in Cuba, once we accept the fundamentals and the borders that is set, is one of contentment of the human sort: friendships, family and the time to share your love and affection. He said as I left the car: Te quiero, Hermano, nos vemos pronto,.  I love you my brother. I will see you soon…
One week of sheer pleasure being in Havana, fond of my portion of the street, L, which once was the home of many of the Polish and Other Ashkenazi Jews. I feel their presence, most of them dead now and some of them might be still alive in Miami or other parts of USA?
Isaac Gurevich was the name of the Polaco, who owned the apartment building in which I live now. From the very beginning I felt something strange and strong.
Will say Kaddish for him, as I was told by the President of the Jewish Community that he migrated to the USA and died there.
Seven days in Havana
In my neighbourhood
Why was I so euphoric?
In just one word: Friends
Unbridled affections
Tenderness without agenda
Passion with innocence
I had six dinner parties; most of them for 7-8 people but one for my colleagues was attended by 16, including my Cuban Mother.
Wonderful times with colleagues, plans for the future, plans for our own lives in Cuba.
My last night, I had a nice dinner, cooked again by the same person, my neighbour across the callejon, alley, but with the absolute luxury of a Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc..
A psychologist friend answered my enquiry into why I was so happy this time in Havana
You had one good news after another
You came to celebrate the academic successes of two of your psychology colleagues
Two recently graduated medical students travelled 1000 km to see you and you mad their Internship year materially comfortable
Your Neighbour, who cooks for you, her daughter’s pregnancy is going well, she is receiving an attention, which would make even pregnant women in richer countries jealous (PS Her Family Physician stops by on Saturday mornings to check on her, compulsory checks, special diets, one a trimester interview with the psychologist, emphasizing reduction of stress, and more)
You are able to counsel people with your unique approach of biomedicine couched in societal and psychological matters.
My Landlady is extremely gracious and her husband dropped by to say hello, even though they live in a further suburb. They also shared some good news.
This on top of the good feelings from France and I must say, I was happy to see my sister in Miami, less mired in stress.
It is how I saw all these events, I looked at all of them very very positively, cleared my mind about the conflict about France
More importantly, I was grateful for all the friendships I have in Cuba
Felt very humbled by the affections that I received

Now to translate this euphoria into meaningful, lived in care of the wards under my care, Indigenous peoples, to increase their sensibilities of their suffering and how it can be overcome by our own vision of our world, our family, our clan, our friends and our earth.


featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...