lundi 6 août 2018

Do not look for them, they look for you. The best is yet to come.

-->







Jorge Luis Borges
More and More people are becoming monolingual or learning only their mother tongue and English (which most use just to communicate for business or travel), and forget about the abundant sea of knowledge of other languages, especially the writers and artists and poets who work in that language. Of course if you are not interested in the literature of your own language, there is a chance you wont be interested it the literature of another language.
I have been very lucky to be able to read, write and communicate well in English, with a special love for this language. Many languages have appeared in my horizon and each one has contributed something or other, even though they have not been “useful in business or travel”, such as Swedish or Malay.
The languages, which had great influence on my way of looking at the world, have been Spanish and French. Spanish gave me ornamentation to my life and through Spanish I entered the world of Portugese and the magnificent literature from Lusitanian diaspora (Couto, Amado just two examples). French gave me an appreciation of the breadth of the human intellectual capacity and who could not be influenced by Michel Foucault, Gilles de Leuze and Jacques Derrida?
The softness and sweetness of life was held in Spanish, a language I absolutely love to speak and in fact, I spend half my time speaking Spanish or visiting Spanish-speaking countries. Argentina being a favourite.
On my very first visit to Buenos Aires, I remember buying a book: Buenos Aires through the eyes of Jorge Luis Borges… a clever pun, Borges becoming blind later in his life. It showed the BA that JLB had enjoyed and many years later I was to have a hair cut in the peluqueria owned by a Lesbian from Matanzas along the Jorge Luis Borges Street!
This morning someone sent me a small paragraph of JLB’s words and I thought of its relevance to my life. I am in France and passing an exceptionally pleasant time here.

 
This photo of Palermo Soho is courtesy of TripAdvisor

JLB says:

 I learned to live and enjoy every detail, I learned from mistakes but I do not live thinking about them, because they are always a bitter memory that prevents you from continuing Therefore, there are irremediable errors. And do not try too hard, that the best things in life happen when you least expect them. Do not look for them, they look for you. The best is yet to come.

Aprendí a vivir y disfrutar cada detalle, aprendí de los errores pero no vivo pensando en ellos, pues siempre suelen ser un recuerdo amargo que te impide seguir adelante, pues, hay errores irremediables. Y no te esfuerces demasiado, que las mejores cosas de la vida suceden cuando menos te las esperas. No las busques, ellas te buscan. Lo mejor está por venir.


So for my friends, new and old, far and near, speaking other languages than English or Spanish, I want to say to you.

Do not look for them, they look for you. The best is yet to come.


featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...