dimanche 24 décembre 2017

RAFIQ AN HONEST TUK TUK DRIVER POSSIBLY THE ONLY ONE IN FORT COCHIN AS RECOMMENDED BY THE TRIPADVISOR

I forget how often I visit Fort Cochin, but I do know that I am often here, on my way to or from South East Asia or Europe.
The Auto Rikshaw or Tuk Tuk drivers are a nuisance, for the most part, and they are callous and capricious
After a visit in February 2016, I had written:

I forgive with great charity, the numerous Kashmiri merchants annoying the visitors, the restaurant owners of Ft Cochin who ply their trade in such lower levels so as to tarnish the reputation of Kerala cuisine,
 the loud and unpleasant Auto Rickshaw drivers trying their best to leech out a few rupees.. Despite all that Fort Cochin remains a charming place and to me, especially after this visit..

and added   Rafik is an exception and had his picture in my blog.

I was walking towards the Ferry this morning when I heard someone shouting to get my attention, it was none other than Rafik! he had recognized me and he was glad that I too recognized him. we exchanged warm greetings and he offered to take me to the Ferry, not at the tourist price he told me.
On the way over he told me about his family, he has grown up children, a son and a daughter who had recently presented him with a grandson. Little chitchat with the lack of a common language between us, but very very pleasant.
I alighted at the Ferry terminal, I had already paid the agreed fare. As he extended his hand to say good bye, I pressed a larger bill into his palm and said: Rafik, go and buy something for your grandson.
His grin and big smile made it all worthwhile.
Like we say in Cuba: tu tienes un amigo por aca.. I know that I have yet another friend in Fort Cochin  Rafik the honest Tuk Tuk Driver 

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...