samedi 18 avril 2020

TENHO SAUDADES POR TUDO. SAUDADE SODADE WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORD

Without doubt my favourite single word in this entire world has to be 
Saudade
e eu tenho saudades por tudo, saudades do Brasil...
It is so difficult to translate this word into English. The above says
I feel saudade for someone who never was mine ..

My own personal definition has been 
Missing someone even before you have met them, it has happened so often in my life ..
Missing something that never once was yours..

as the Little Poet of Cote Sauvage said :
como posso ter saudade de voce quando voce esta no meu coracao sempre 

These are challenging times and all that touches your heart magnifies the feelings in your heart
Yesterday I received this from a friend whom I had met in Sao Paolo in 2004
and had seen three or four times since then 

I had a wonderful visit to USP and saw her and her colleagues at the Museum of Ethnology in 2015

https://medicoanthropologist.blogspot.com/2015/09/friendship-over-time-and-distance.html


the message said:
It is impossible not to remember this dear friend with a cuban heart and universal soul.
I replied with a simple: Muito Obrigado. thank you very much.

The song is CHAN CHAN 
any cuban with a sense of history of music would know the story of this song 
written by the legendary Compay Segundo and the opening song in the movie Buena Vista Social Club..

In one of my trips along the road from Holguin to Moa, I passed through the towns mentioned in the song 
Sagra Grande. Mayari . Alto Cedro . Cueto.. some of them so small not to be even on a map of the province of Holguin.
Eventhough I never met Compay Segundo, I did become friends with Ibrahim Ferrer before he passed away, I also remember fondly Cachaito. It is still wonderful to see the opening scene in their first concert at Amsterdam I believe, singing Chan Chan..

Here is the video my friend from Brasil sent me: I enjoyed listening to that song.. once again 
Muito Obrigado 
por se lembrar de mim 

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...