mardi 21 avril 2020

GOOD BYE COMMENDATORE ... HOPE MURAKAMI WINS THE NOBEL PRIZE THIS YEAR ?



A lovely spring day in Miami.
The leaves are growing in front of your eyes.
Tall trees shadier by the day.
On such a day I finished reading 
Murakami, Haruki's book 
Killing Commandatore 
I cant even tell you what sort of a book this is.

I felt a tremendous sadness when it ended
Yes, Commandatore, you are real 
I can only say that the story is real 

Between Ideas and Metaphors
Beware of Double Metaphors
what lies between Presence and Absence?

what did Murakami, Haruki feel when he was finishing this novel? did he just finish it in a flash or think about it for a while, mulling over it, over just finished it while listening to jazz at one of his favourite clubs in Tokyo?

He writes:
I have no need though, to challenge my life in such a troublesome way. That is because I am endowed with the capacity to believe. I believe in all honesty that something will appear to guide me through the darkest and narrowest tunnel, or across the most desolate plain. That's what I learned from the strange events I experience while living in that mountaintop house on the outskirts of Odawara.

We are living through some challenging times and expect to some unexpected things around the world in the months to come. During the stay at home, when I had more time than normal to read Murakami, I enjoyed this thoroughly.

A little History:
I used to make a side trip to Bangalore when I visited Cochin to visit the Premier Bookstore, alas no more, the owner migrated to Australia, I think.
It was worthwhile detour and you could rely upon him to come up with recommendations.
On one visit he said, Please try and read this, you might enjoy it.
It was Murakami, Haruki's.  Kafka on the Shore
I was drawn to his style, the lack of distinction between reality and magic or wonder... something I have always aspired to.

Since then I have read
IQ84
Blind willow, sleeping woman 
Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and years of pilgrimage
Dance Dance Dance 
The elephant vanishes 
Hard-Boiled wonderland and the end of the world 
Men without women
Norwegian wood
South of the border, west of the sun 
Sputnik sweetheart
The strange library
A wild sheep chase
Wind/Pinball
The wind up Bird chronicle 
What I talk about when I talk about Running 

Hopefully this October, I can raise a flute of champagne to Murakami, Haruki to toast him for his Nobel Prize ?

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...