mardi 26 novembre 2019

I AM A PROUD . M.O.T . MEMBER OF THE TRIBE A JEW


I AM A PROUD M.O.T. MEMBER OF THE TRIBE
The first time I heard the expression MOT, was from a doctor teacher, Jack Schneider when I was beginning my medical studies. Are you a MOT? He asked, and explained to me that it was a way of acknowledging other members of the Jewish people. After all Jews are a tribal people, from the historic perspective and many of the tribal mannerisms and characteristics and especially rituals survive to this day
In Cuba, I have trouble explaining to a people who had transitioned from Catholicism to Communism and both as ritualistic and rigid behavioral patterns and demanding obedience to a God or to an Ideology. To say that I am Jewish but not affiliated to any group or institution and that Bible means less than the commentaries on the bible and that I am not messianic but a realist who believes in the Paradise right here and now, of course avoid Hell here as much as possible, these arguments do not make any sense to Cubans.
But in the back of my mind, I want to be an example of being a good human being and that incidentally people could say: that human being is a Jew. I am one of the diverse Jews of this world but I have taken pride in my identity and also carried the burden of this responsibility of being a good ambassador for my people with great pleasure.
My wanderings around the world had taken me to various Islamic countries and some totalitarian countries both of which interested me in my presenting a good face of my people. In Malaysia, the usual question asked is, why do your people win so many Nobel Prizes. I tell them humbly, we are not smarter than the other people but we are taught to be more curious about the world and the medical and scientific contributions could considered as a part of social obligation inherent in us to help others, the Mitzvah.
Almost all countries in the East confuse Israel and the Jews, without realizing that the Jews are not a large group of people and that half the Jewish population of the world live outside Israel.
Iranians have been fed a foul propaganda by their government against Israel and by Jews by default. While they proclaim that Jews are among the four minorities with privilege in Iran, Infidels but somewhat better, they have no judicial, educational or position rights which can be overruled by Mullahs and in the name of Islam. I have a long standing interest in Iran and Iranian people and reach out whenever possible.
The greatest compliments arrive like this.
From Iran
Since we have been friends, I like the Jewish people much more.
Or
We know that Israeli people are nice people, I wish I could go there and visit and study.
I always thank them humbly and say: we are the best friends you could have in the Middle East, we are natural friends
And say to my Iranian friends:
We love you, Iranian people
And one day we will be together and work together and contribute equally to help the people of the world, in science and technology and knowledge and literature, our Mitzvahs will be one.

I wish to be a good MOT.. thank you Dr Jack Schneider for explaining to me when I was still a student at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida, USA.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...