dimanche 3 novembre 2019

KINDNESS OF GENTLE SIMPLE PEOPLE OF SIEM REAP ..I AM OVERWHELMED BY THEIR AFFECTIONS

Vagaries of airline schedules are such that it took me a long time to get to Siem Reap from Quiberon in France. After a rest and waiting out the stormy skies, I ventured out into the streets of Siem Reap so familiar to me.
within one hour of walking around, so much affection was shown to me, genuine happiness of people who are so kind..

 My Burmese brother, Ko Maung Maung owns a boutique hotel where I always stay and walking out of the hotel, you are right in the centre of the daily activities of Siem Reap

 I have known this little girl for two years, she is the daughter of the women who owns the laundry and she was so excited to see me that she was jumping up and down..
 walking a few metres you come to POU restaurant which serves Cambodian fusion cuisine and the familiar sight of the smiles. I promised to come back for dinner.
 The sun was setting and there were new lights over the bridges and suddenly the atmosphere was charged with all these coloured lights.
 Stopped by the fruit juice stall only to be told by the daughter that her mother was still at home. I promised to drop by later

 There are a large number of fruit juice stalls along this road but my friend's is one of the first close to the corner to the bridge which takes you over to the steet leading to the Night Market
 It is almost ritualistic to drop by to see the artiste naif, Stef from France who had been in Siem Reap for a while
 He was happy when i suggested we have a drink together and he wanted to discuss some matter urgently. Indians have always told me: you would be in places where your presence is needed and our conversation today proved that I needed to be here.

 Walking along the street, one comes across the reflexology of foot (massage) places and my friend Anya calls out and she asks about my brother whom she had met 3 years ago..


 Vestiges of French colonial architecture
 My friend the Juice Lady was so happy to see me that she was plying me with drinks and fruits. When i wanted to pay she refused to accept and I said to her what Buddha has said.
This cart and the fruits are your livelihood and you support your daughters education with it. I appreciate your generosity but it is my responsibility that I pay you.
I put the money in the hands of her daughter. This woman is one of the more genuine women that I have come across in Siem Reap. because of the language we cannot communicate but the affection is so apparent 

 As I was sitting sipping my papaya drink, I received a text message: Please pick me at the airport, I checked the incoming flight, it would arrive in 90 minutes. I walked back to the hotel, where the children of my burmese brother greeted me and I prepared to go to the Airport. 
 Transportation is very easy here and I was at the airport on time.
 It was time for dinner and I had promised the waitress at POU that I would be back, the food is up to my taste and the chef is a friend of mine.

I make a point of greeting all the staff and went upstairs to the kitchen to say hello to the staff there. Some of them recognized me as a repeat customer 
The dinner was indeed delicious: Grilled River Fish from Lak Ton Le Sap
The night breeze as caressing as I walked back the hundred metres to the hotel..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...