jeudi 7 novembre 2019

SIX DAYS IN SIEM REAP . A COLLECTOR OF STORIES

SIX DAYS IN SIEM REAP
The collector of Stories
In our lives, fewer STORIES come to us than if we were traveling or going in search of them.
In six delightful days in Siem Reap in Cambodia, I can say I collected enough stories
Tourists come to Siem Reap to visit the largest archeological complex in the world, but I go there to feel a sense of being there, I am there because I like Siem Reap .
Some of the stories I collected on this visit, which was my firth visit in 12 months..


An artist with a penchant for pessimism




A Muslim Female merchant exercising to be healthy


A Visitor from Annam


A young fruit vendor with a fever


New friends and many old friends: Rithy, Nai, Yan, Neath, Chhaya



The generous fruit lady of Siem Reap 



A very simple life 
One could be cynical about tourists, and their influence on the lifestyle of the local khmer, but I find joy in the face of tourists who had just visited the wonder of Angkor


















As usual I stayed at the BEYOND YANGON boutique inn run by my Burmese Brother Ko Maung Maung (he does give me a discount, but he must charge me as that is his livelihood)

Ate at just two places, there are hundreds of restaurants in SRP but the two I choose are unique in their approach to food or service 
POU
MOLOP DAMNAK 
both within walking distance of my Hotel

Daily Massage
They are truly not massage therapists but young women and men who have dropped out of school and the idea of just lying down in air conditioned comfort while somebody soothingly squeezes your muscles while not harming your body
GEKKO massage on the main street. Anya and Teewa are my favourites.
Night Market offers many souvenirs as well as imitation clothing, most shops offering the same thing. I shop at the one owned by my muslim friend ZYTY.. who gives me the local price rather than the Tourist price.

ambiance of the small town to enjoy 

No talk of temples or museums or artisans
The tourists come and go, dont stay long, so not bothered by them but grateful for them for providing an income to many people in this poor country.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...