jeudi 2 mars 2023

IF YOU ARE A FRQUENT FLIER, IT IS GOOD TO HAVE STATUS WITH YOUR PREFERRED AIRLINE. IF YOU DONT TRAVEL OFTEN, DONT WORRY

 Since the post-pandemic rush to travel took us to busier airports and congested aircrafts, the idea of having a preferred status has come into focus and also to learn about the strategies of the airlines to milk you out of the most money.

Luggage

Apart from my trips to Cuba when I travel with two large suitcases and a carry on and a back pack, my international travels are usually light. If you are not careful you could end up paying hundreds of dollars extra for taking your luggage. 

Airline ploy: Get their credit card, pay for the ticket using that credit card, then you would be allowed one checked bag free.

Because of my status with American Airlines, i do not pay for the extra luggage to Cuba


Space at the airports 

To enter the lounge of your choice at airports you frequent often is a great benefit and to me, one of the best benefits of maintaining your Frequent Flier Status. Most of the USA based lounges are rather lacklustre, two of them stand out: Flagship Lounge by American Airlines and Centurion Lounge by American Express 

The chance to sit quietly or alone and enjoying a drink or a repas without standing in line is a great benefit indeed .

On my recent (my fourth International trip this year so far) trip, I was able to use the following Lounges 

Flagship Lounge at Miami International

Flagship Lounge at NY JFK (now renamed Greenwich Lounge)

Air France Lounge at JFK 

Sakura Lounge at NRT  Tokyo

Plaza Premium Lounge at KUL Kuala Lumpur 

Star Alliance Gold Lounge at Singapore Changi

Plaza Premium Lounge at CGK Jakarta 

Sakura Lounge at NRT 

Greenwich Lounge at JFK 


The best champagne was at the Flagship Lounge both in Miami and JFK, Piper-Heidsieck

The best service was at the Sakura Lounge in Tokyo Narita 

I was also able to take a shower and freshen up in ready for the 12 hour trip to JFK from NRT at Sakura Lounge 

Food at the Lounges:






The above at the Star Alliance Gold Lounge at Singapore Changi. It was good to taste Singapore Laksa (above)




The Plaza Premium Lounge at the satellite terminal at Kuala Lumpur International tend to be crowded and the food selections are limited. I did have a nice curry with spicy condiments.



At the Plaza Premium Lounge, I did not have time to enjoy a meal plus I was preparing my stomach for the oncoming Japanese flight with its excellent cuisine, but i managed to taste Prawn Krapoks, which reminded me of a nice holiday in Brunei during my adolescent years.



I like the sensation of boarding the aircraft with slight sensation of hunger and apetite so that i can look forward to my meal and enjoy it very much. So when I was at the Sakura lounge on my return I purposely did not but enjoyed a long nice shower in the lounge.

The 12 hour flight went very smoothly. I could enjoy the wifi on air and the japanese food offered was of better quality than the so called "japanese" restaurants in USA or Europeans( usually ran by Chinese or Koreans, as the popularity of their own cuisines have decreased dramatically)

I was connecting to Miami and I tried the Greenwich lounge once again and I was not disappointed 


Here are some more pictures of Lounges on my way from Miami to Kuala Lumpur 











So it is important that you have status while flying. US based airlines always on the look out for making money for their CEOs and investors, always find ways to leech money out of the passengers whether you are elite flier or not.

One example is that, if you are flying domestically, your status will not get you into the Lounge, but you can buy a day pass.

Better seat selection, no baggage fees are important benefits of being an Elite. I find that in the USA, the services on the ground are better than the services on the air (they come nowhere near Qatar Airways or Japan Airlines), so elite passengers get treated better if there is a delay or cancellation. Waiting time on the telephone is shorter for elite passengers as well.

Since I do not fly much inside the USA, my "domestic" flights mainly to La Habana (cubans may not like calling them domestic??) and their eagerness to monetize everything, I have decided not to strive to reach Elite flying with any of the USA based airlines unless it comes to me by vicarious means.


I would like to acquire/maintain 

Qatar Airways 

Air France 

frequent flier status. Once LATAM joins Skyteam, i would credit their flights to Air France. Qatar Airways status will allow me to enjoy Flagship lounge, my main benefit at Miami airport.


So, this third international trip is over. I have enjoyed flying 

Japan Airlines, Air France

(the other airlines flown : TAP air portugal, Iberia , Singapore Airlines, Malaysian Airlines, American Airlines)

and enjoyed lounges in. Miami New York JFK

Paris. Madrid. Lisbon. Casablanca. Tokyo. Jakarta. Singapore  Kuala Lumpur Tunis 

I am grateful

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...