mercredi 8 mars 2023

WHEN ONE DOOR IS CLOSED , ANOTHER IS OPEN, SAID BOB MARLEY AND THE THEFT AND LOSS OF MY BEADED NECK BAG AT JAKARTA AIRPORT

 I have been associated with the Native Indians of North America throughout my stays in this land, some tribes become like family, others transfer a little bit of their knowledge and wisdom..I have always felt, in my relationship with the Native people, it is I who have gained..



I have wonderful recollections of my time with the UmonHon tribe and when I was adopted into the tribe, I immediately gained a large family with its attendant responsibilities.

I worked with my Grand Niece (above) and also my Little Brother (above). We also shared some trips together and they visited me in Havana, Cuba

Few months ago, during one of their adventures in this country they identify as Turtle Island, they came across a beaded pouch in Minnesota. They kindly thought of me and they sent it to me.

I was proud of this gift my family and wore it everyday and also during my long and short International trips.


I wore it every day and the fact that it came from my UmonHon family, it meant more.



Jakarta International Airport with a fairly newish terminal is welcoming as long as you don't have to ask anyone any questions or require any information. I had the misfortune of transiting through it on my way to Kuala Lumpur recently 

Nobody has the vaguest idea of what is happening. Transfer Desk had no one manning it . To enter and reach your gate you need a boarding pass but they cant issue it , so you have to go through immigration to get it and pay a Visa on Arrival 

I tried to convince the security people that I am just in transit and I am off to Kuala Lumpur and they can come with me to the gate and see I am off their territory. A certain amount of commotion was going on and when i reached the gate, the flight was already boarding and I realized that my beaded neck pouch was missing.

It was a lady in a hijab, rather rotund, manning the X-ray of the security  screening who might be enjoying my beaded bag. I cannot wish her well. 

Normally loss of such an item would not have bothered me but its connection to my family among the UmonHon kept on reminding me of its loss. I wrote to my little brother and grand niece: I am very sorry I have lost your gift that you found for me in Minnesota.


[12:35 PM, 3/2/2023] Dr Y: at the Jakarta airport, they stole my beaded neck bag and chain that you two so lovingly gave me . They denied it right in front of me and there was no one to complain about it. it was on the tray while going through security. fortunately my iPhone was not inside. I miss the bag mainly because it came from you and forgive me for loosing it

[12:37 PM, 3/2/2023] Dr Y: i had a picture of it on my iphone and i showed it to every body but they all said they never saw it

[12:37 PM, 3/2/2023] Dr Y: even though i caught them smirking among themselves

[12:37 PM, 3/2/2023] A: Aww man! I am so sorry to hear that! It’s okay! Don’t worry! Nothing good comes to those who lie and steal. Your intentions are pure! It is replaceable

[12:37 PM, 3/2/2023] M: It's okay brother, do not feel bad. I have another one that I will send to you

[12:38 PM, 3/2/2023] Dr Y: also i got compliments EVERYDAY on that bag and i thought to myself , lots of bad eyes. One week later I passed through the same airport , showed every body at the security the photo and they all said they have never seen it

[12:40 PM, 3/2/2023] Dr Y: because always felt closer to you two whenever someone asks me about the bag. and even the M indians that i work with admired it as they do not bead

[12:40 PM, 3/2/2023] M: Well, you got to enjoy that one for a bit, I will send you another. 

THAT IS MY INDIAN FAMILY THE DESCENDANTS OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THIS COUNTRY WHITE PEOPLE CALL AMERICA AND THE NATIVES CALL, TURTLE ISLAND

Today when I got to the place where I am staying, after a lovely meeting with a respected Elder of the tribe,who live in the nearby national park,  a package was waiting and I knew what was in it :


to my relatives:

  1. wi-btha-hoⁿ (wibthahoⁿ) - thank you (Omaha)
  2. tha-hoⁿ (tha-hoⁿ′) - to express gratitude, thanks, to thank, btha-hoⁿ (bthá-hoⁿ) - I thanked him, shta-hoⁿ (shtá-hoⁿ), shna-hoⁿ (shná-hoⁿ) - you thanked him, oⁿ-tha-hoⁿ i (oⁿ-thá-hoⁿ i) - we thanked him (FL-Osage)
  3. wi-bla-haⁿ (wíblahaⁿ) - thank you (Kanza)
this note arrived from an UmonHon language expert 
I'm glad you let that positivity in it's a life saver NoNde eyoNxti niNkHeshe uthagtha tHithakHithe tHe wibthahoN thank you for sharing exactly how you are in your heart

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...