samedi 4 mars 2023

HAFEZ. HIS INFLUENCE ON YOUR MIND CENTURIES AND THOUSANDS OF KILOMETRES APART

 Recuperating from the long trip from Kuala Lumpur to Miami, I decided to use the silence to incorporate some poems of Hafez into my life 

On the first night back in Miami after a 43 hour long journey with some absurd encounters with the security officials (We do not issue electronic visas, but you need visa to go through here!) and delightful Japanese cuisine and hospitality, I was offered some Jamaican Goat Curry



and i began to read Hafez

The next day, a good friend fell ill, and I concentrated to help him find a diagnosis and then decided to ask Hafez (fal e hafez) how I can help him

or in general how can I help him?

I opened the Ghazals of Hafez and this one appeared


Is this ghazal 210 or 216?

google cant help you ?

you can use a on line translator, and the translation is not satisfactory

To translate Hafez is very difficult I am told and to understand him , it is even more difficult, especially if you are a foreigner.

The American translator quoted: Fouchéron thinks this complex, dlicate ghazal is an elegy on the death of someone close.

You can imagine, how difficult it is to look for a translation of Hafiz and even more difficult to find an interpretation.

Through academic.edu I was able to find a person from Mashhad who provided me an explanation which satisfied me.

I am a lover of poetry Iranian and in other languages and after a while, you can understand the irregularities of a bad translation even if you do not know the original language.

Thank you, you from the land of Hafez.

The ghazal of Hafez says that we lose what we love, but we can still be patient and hopeful...


Please search Ghazal 216

can you please translate it at your leisure 

Of course, Do you want the interpretation or the meaning?

This is a sad ghazal and says that I lost something/someone who was great and had many good qualities...

I will send you the full text and various interpretations

The meaning of Ghazal (216) in order of lines

That beloved one, because of whose presence our house was safe and secure like angels, was flawless like an angel and there was no evil in her/ him 

The heart said that I will stay in this city with his hope.

or (the second meaning is that I will spread his good smell all over the city.)

the poor man did not know that his beloved is going on a journey.


In this world, the secret of my heart was revealed because the way and custom of this world has always been disclosure

That wise and desired beloved of mine, who was skilled and polite as well...

(Continuation of the previous verse) The incompatible horoscope stole him from me.  Yes sir!  What can be done?!  This incident was the result of bad luck at the time


(I cannot translate exactly what Hafez said.  But it gives about the same meaning)


O heart, accept the excuse of the beloved that you have nothing, but he/ she was famous and had a royal crown in the country of the righteous

Our only good and happy times were the times spent with friends, the rest of life was spent in fruitlessness and neglect

Walking next to the stream, roses, grass and flowers had a wonderful purity.  But it's a pity that all that precious happiness was fleeting

O nightingale, it is fitting that you destroy yourself from the pain of envy, because your lover (the flower) flirted and made love with the morning breeze at dawn

Every treasure of happiness that God gave to Hafez was due to the blessing of his night and morning prayers

Interpretation of this sonnet in your horoscope

 It has been a while since you feel that you have faced problems.  You may have trouble and resentment for a short time, but don't worry, it will be resolved soon.  Sometimes you spend your time on useless things and feel regret after missing opportunities.  Know that happiness is not always stable and you should appreciate your friends in gatherings.  You love someone and he is like a precious treasure to you and you are ready to lose everything for him.  But why all this extravagance?  Appreciate the money you have earned, you cannot satisfy all his wishes.  Do not forget to pray and always ask God for your heart's desire to make you Needless again


I had needed Hafez's help

After reading the above notes and explanations, I consulted with my friend who had fallen ill.

As Meleau-Ponty had said: Context is very important. 

A dear friend of many years, a good person has fallen ill.

I decided to light candles to bring light in the lives of people who are near and dear to me 

So that I have the right sense and ability to counsel them. 



Five hours later, the candles were still burning, a nice and wonderful affirmation 

Thank you, Hafez

and through his words, I can affirm, my care for those who are sick, I can find meanings in my relationships with the friends who are associated with ghazal.


Our only good and happy times were the times spent with friends, the rest of life was spent in fruitlessness and neglect

Stanza 7

This ghazal brings me close to Mashhad in Iran and Bauru in Brasil.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...