mardi 21 mars 2023

MIAMI TO HAVANA. SO CLOSE AND YET SO FAR AND DIVIDED

 It is one thing to be in a polemic country as USA which is divided right through the middle .. 50% fascist leaning and 50% wanting a just society and poor Blacks suffering a barrage of racism. But it is all about one self, rather than about a country or society or community. Self oriented, individualistic and totally money oriented and in general an unhappy society. But people flock to the USA attracted by the opportunities which they do not have in their home countries and live there , constantly missing the countries they are from 



I make a point of viewing the sunrise when I am in Miami because the patio of the house where I stay is situated well to view it . I was leaving the country today so I did not wish to miss it.

Normally I travel light 

a carry on luggage (rimowa salsa , a gift of my Indonesian friend, Pak Joe) and a Coach shoulder bag ( a gift of my jamaican sister)




but this short trip to Cuba, i go always with lots of luggage as the situation between USA and Cuba has resulted in a shortage of essential goods in Cuba 
so much luggage to carry!
On this trip I was allowed to check all three bags and it felt free to be boarding flight with just a backpack.
I go the airport in Miami early so that I can enjoy their Flagship Lounge.

American Airlines are not that great an airline but for my short flight to Havana, they are the ideal one.


I was the first passenger out of the aircraft and very soon was cleared of the immigration and my three bags were among the first to arrive. The customs officials can be intimidating but i have noticed this year that they are much softer and gentler. This arrival has been the fastest , within 25 minutes of arrival I was already outside where Pedro the taxi driver was waiting for me.
There is no boundary like this .. you leave Miami where the majority are spanish speaking and or of cuban descent and within minutes you are in Cuba which is so so different from the USA and its people whether recent immigrants or children of immigrants from the past.


I love the feeling of this huge airplane taking off and look down at the familiar sites..Biscayne Bay where once Christo wrapped all the small islands

 over the city of miami , on to the keys and then a short flight over the waters to enter cuban airspace, eveything happens so quickly .


before you know you are flying over Cuba and then you recognize the havana skyline in the distance. 



I am tired of travelling with so much luggage but when i think of Cuba and its difficulties, this burden becomes light.

The taxi driver brings his yellow taxi(why are taxis painted yellow?) and we load up and briskly leave the airport towards Vedado where I stay 


 

here is an obligatory photo of antique cars that still ply the roads and ways of Cuba, my driver told me this is a 1947 or 48 model






I feel exhilarated each time i take this road to the house from the airport. Heart is full of joy, there is no time to think of politics or suffering.
my cuban sister was waiting for me at home ..and the usual welcome home dinner/lunch

she had managed to get some lobster, freshly cooked rice and her own recipe of the cuban caviar THE BLACK BEANS.. nowhere in Miami does the black beans taste so good ..
to be followed by the unaldulterated, non polluted cuban cream made with plenty of cream..

Thank you, sister
Good to be home..
Soon the sun would set and it is time to light shabbat candles.



Borepri hagefen with Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc.




featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...