lundi 16 mars 2020

CUBA AND IRAN. SO FAR YET SO CLOSE TO MY HEART

We are passing through times that we had never imagined but sitting here at the sunset in Miami, I felt strangely calm.
I felt connected to the entire world, as more than ever before communications were pouring in from Europe, Middle East, Far East and my beloved Cuba..Lots of counselling, chats, information exchange, medicine and anthropology. In between all these my English sister managed to cook a delicious meal
A glass or two of Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough region of NZ.
Two countries tug at my heart these days: Cuba and Iran, an unlikely pair, but who would have thought I would so madly fall in love with CUBA!
Through conversations with my Iranian friends, I have come to learn about the Iranian mind and their world view. They introduced me to their songs and music and lyrics and books and films and great poets.. Shamlou has been such a great gift..
a stanza from  the poem Nocturnal
At night when a sadness coagulates in the garden
I listen closely from the road
for the death-coughs in teh groaning of the rusted chains 
upon my wrists

I discovered my favourite poet Pablo Neruda who gave me such immense pleasure (I would carry a book of poetry of his on my dates in Melbourne and recite them between courses!) but I will never forget the person who introduced me to Ahmad Shamlou.

Each day I listen to a string of Iranian singers from Iran. I do not understand the lyrics but it does not matter, there is something else about the music that touches my heart and moves my tears.
But tonight I discovered a song sung in Persian but i recognized tune, it was a Cuban poet who had penned the tribute to our great hero Che Guevara.
The singer has a classical voice which I enjoyed. Whoever created the video I thank you, to see the images of Che Comandante..
I am enjoying this period in my life where my love for Iran has increased, it was always there, but enhanced since October 5, 2019.
I thank all of you , some of you have walked away into the veil of oblivion; some were afraid of the propaganda of the Mullahs and did not wish to be friends with a son of Israel.
Others remain, nibbling at my heart, enhancing my mind.

One cruel feature Cuba and Iran share is the Embargo or Bloqueo as we call it by the US government, which creates  enormous difficulties at all levels of life in Cuba.
Until President Obama opened up diplomatic relationships between the two countries, communication to Cuba a mere 90 miles away was more difficult than getting hold of someone in Tokelau Islands! in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Because the communications became free and open (Cuba does not filter or block websites), majority of the Cubans have Internet available on their phone and while I am away from the island, I have constant communications.

I had heard that Cuba had invented an Interferon which they had used in many viral infections and that they had a factory in China for manufacture and supply. Imagine my surprise when I received this communication from a friend.

Cuban drug used to tackle COVID-19



2020-03-13 11:06:57 / web@radiorebelde.icrt.cu

it goes on to explain the experiments that have been conducted in China during this epidemic and it is estimated that this medication has saved about 3000 people!

Messages began to pour in. A friend of mine sent a video from Cayman Islands 
I am not a great fan of Maduro or Venezuelan regime (I did admire Chavez and grateful for the Cuban Internacionalistas who provide such great humanitarian medical service there)
but the fact a poor country like Cuba was able to help another country in Latin America with urgently needed medication which may save 10 000 lives! was impressive . I felt elated and effusive and wanted the world to know.. there is humanity left in many parts of the world ..
As soon as it is permissible for me to go back to Cuba, I will go. It is nice to be among a fraternal people with a sense of solidarity. 

I am grateful for my English sister for wonderful meals while being sequestered in Miami where the public situation is at best chaotic and there is no public health organization to speak of, and I am hoping that the fourteen days of isolation would bring me affection from all parts of the world ! 

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...