dimanche 15 mars 2020

BEDLAM IN USA BUT CALM MINDFUL NIGHT IN MIAMI

People worry that they would be bored if they have to stay home for more than a few days, as most people in this world are forced to do now and in the coming days.
Let me give you a context: I have never stayed in any one place since 1993 when I completed my studies in London and took off on a flight to the Far East ..
I arrived from La Habana, my current residence on 25th February and I was booked on a flight to go back yesterday, 13 March 2020.
The world is in turmoil all because of a virus which loves to spread itself fast and kill a few people on its way. The fear and panic it has generated is worse than the virus itself.
I am not at all worried that I have to stay at home, with social distancing and unable to enjoy all the things I enjoy during my visit to Miami. More importantly I had to cancel all my trips for the coming months
La Habana
Quiberon France 
Bonn Germany 
Budapest Hungary
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 
Siem Reap Cambodia 
Haifa, Israel

They can wait
Right now, I will wait for them to come to me..
I can close my eyes and invite them to come..

6  pm in Miami
Midnight in Europe 
Morning in Far East
People are preparing dinner in La Habana 
and I am in my euphoric mood..
Music Movies Chats 
This contentment is NOW 
Mindfulness 
I enjoy my friends NOW even though they are far away 
but I feel they are here, with me

I was a student in Miami and went to see a movie called SUR and I was captivated by the title song of the movie 
Vuelvo a Sur. sung by El Polaco Roberto Goyeneche, a titan of the Tango scene of Buenos Aires and the music was by that giant of Tango, Astor Piazzola. Soon you saw me prowling the streets of Palermo and at one time I knew the most popular restaurants in that area.
Buenos Aires faded into the background but Tango stayed.


Argentina gave me so much pleasure 
much more than Brasil
much more than Chile

In Brasil I was attracted to smaller towns
Boa Vista in Parana 
Tabatinga in Amazonas 

Chile I was there for Pablo Neruda 
La Cascona La Sebastiana Isla Negra 
and the island that is not in any way Chilean: Rapa Nui


I can close my eyes now and there I am walking along the main street of Hanga Roa, the most popular Cuban doctor in the island, saying hello to my various friends, arriving at Bertha's Empanadas for a nice chunky tuna empanada..Hi to the Aussie who came to film Rapa Nui with Kevin Kostner and stayed..still so many islanders I still do not know..
Who can forget this Juice Seller of Siem Reap at the corner where the bridge meets the main touristy road in the centre of town. She loads each night my hands with fruits and other edibles, never demanding payment. Just seeing her makes me happy and her daughter who speaks English wants to be a doctor and I told her I will help her to become a doctor.
OMAN 
my favourite Arab country 
such lovely people
History does dent the false pride and ego of people and Omanis have not forgotten the time when they too were poor..
 This is Cote Sauvage in the presqui'le de Quiberon in the rugged Bretagne coast. I am lucky enough to visit this region often enough and each time I suffocate in its natural beauty.
 This is where I am most at home, a favourite seat in the favourite airline Qatar Airways..My wings are clipped for a while by Corona but hopefully soon I will be entering into the familiarity of Qatar Airways..
 I work with a wonderful and helpful nurse MA at the national park. After we visit patients at home, we make time to go and sit by the water near the sea, and enjoy a fresh fish lunch.


In Cuba there are many privately owned businesses and Adonis has his salon one block from my house and it is nice to be subjected to his tonsorial elegance once in a while .

I miss all of you my dear friends, here and there and every where in this planet. As Corona as corroded the distance between places, in my heart the planet has become my neighbourhood.Whether it is Sapporo or Siem Reap, I have to think of someone or other and a nice feeling comes over; in Leticia friends are waiting to share a grilled chicken from the vendor in the corner of Orellana park with the strange name of Hitler (he is regionally well known) and what waits in Linz?
Like a six year old sweetheart from Cote Sauvage said to me, how can I miss you when I have you in my heart? So dear friends, I think of you often, I do not miss you because I have you in my heart.
I who adored Buenos Aires and Baracoa, have let Magical Realism (formulated by Alejo Carpentier of Cuba and magnified by Gabriel Garcia Marquez of Colombia) enter my life and then take over: I am no longer certain of what is real and what is magical, everything seems magical and if I behave to you in a magical fashion (or in your eyes bizarre?) please forgive me, I mean no harm.
I live in a surrealist country where each day is a discovery of the bizarreness of life and I dream of a country where the poet creates the cruel reality into delicate flowers, Shamlou. I love you IRAN, even that love will have to be magical as in reality I cannot visit that magnificent country where once  I had some connections.
Where does life begin, where does work end and what is leisure and what is pleasure..
amidst all this ruminations, I am not worried about being Miami bound for a few days.
I want to be in Cuba and I would be as soon as Corona permits me but I am not crying, my English sister is an excellent cook and I shall not miss eating out...

Mind is powerful, it can teach you to enjoy the simple pleasures of being present somewhere or other but present and not passing through as drudgery but a sense of presence..

I am grateful for USA Cuba Israel Iran Malaysia Cambodia Qatar Oman Cochin in India Quiberon Leticia The indigenous peoples that I work with 

There is panic outside but I am very calm..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...