vendredi 26 octobre 2018

QATAR AIRWAYS: THE BEST ALL AROUND SERVICE AND MY FAVOURITE AIRLINE

When I left my home in La Habana, Cuba for Miami, the day before I was to take QR 778 to Doha, I was already full of anticipation, as is the usual case with me. Just a few weeks ago I had flown the route in reverse, Doha to Miami, having arrived in Doha from Tel Aviv and Amman (RJ and QR).
I had gone to the airport earlier, and as soon as I could I got my boarding pass and headed to the AA Flagship Lounge. Miami airport seemed quiet on this Wednesday and I felt good approaching the boarding gate at the announced time and seeing the familiar burgundy and gray livery with Oryx on the tailfin.
I was greeted warmly by the Cabin Senior and two younger attendants, one from Taiwan and the other, an adventurous looking lady from Bombay. 








The daughter of Cathay helped me store my luggage and even before she could speak, I said: clear champagne and warm towel, both of which arrived promptly. They were working in tandem and made a good pair, making the flight a very pleasant experience. I started with flutes of champagne, the same one from the last long haul QR flight and then nibbling on the salmon bits, delayed the dinner for later hour, making sure the pleasant duo wouldn't have left for their required and much needed siesta.
It was close to midnight in Miami, at that having flowin about five hours. We did hit a rough patch of air near Nova Scotia and I imagined it might have been the tail end of one of the hurricanes that come from West African coast.


I was appropriately peckish, enjoyed the repast and while the duo repaired to their quarters (I always sleep well, the impish one was to say later), I stretched out for five hours, waking up as the duo also arrived, this time impeccable in their uniforms. By the time I nibbled on the breakfast, Greek Yoghurt, stuffed pasta and the tasty Karak Chai ( I apologize, said the taiwanese lady, we have ran out of Cardamon, would you like to try the Saffron? with pleasure, of course). we were flying along the Iran-Iraqi border towards the Persian Gulf and I sent silent prayers for my Iranian friends, past and present (perhaps the future?).





I had a chance to talk to both of the ladies, the lady who spoke Hokkien and Mandarin told me she used to be a primary school teacher, and the bombaywallah recounted the time her shoulder bag had been stolen with the passport inside, while strolling along Ho Chi Minh City. The Filipina cabin senior was busy with the required papers, filling them and filing them. 
Soon we landed at Hamad International Airport at Doha in the Emirate of Qatar.
A message was waiting for me  from my Sri Lankan friend who works at Al Mourjan Lounge (possibly the best airline lounge in the world, always coming in the top five). I had met him on my first ever flight on QR, I clearly remember, a Boeing 777-ER flying from Houston to Doha, a Parsee lady was sitting next to me, who teaches Bollywood dancing to american housewives. Without our making special plans, I used to run into my Sri Lankan friend from Bentotta at the Al Mourjan Lounge. While the chance of running into the same Cabin Crew is extremely slim, one becomes familiar with the faces at the Restaurant and Deli at Al Mourjan and even in the extremely well maintained toilet space attended exclusively by Bangladeshis, most of whom I thought were from Chittagong.
I went up to Al Mourjan to meet my friend, a Capuccino arrives promptly and he calls Mona/Vaisali (both from India) who are at the Quiet Area/Shower area and reserves a place. I had a lovely shower and was resting when I received a message from the Restaurant to say that Chef Mahesh had prepared a special dish for me.






I sat down in comfort and tranquility and soon Chef Mahesh accompanied by Chef Sumit and attendants Kareem and Patricia arrive and a delicious dinner was on the offer.
Back at the Quiet place before the onslaught of flights arriving from the Far East to connect to flights to Europe, I had a lovely rest.

At the Deli, I ran into Jayanta, another acquaintance from Al Mourjan. It is always nice to see familiar faces on long journeys.
It is the company policy that the employees keep professional distance from the passengers. But as I am a Frequent Flier on Qatar Airways (I hold Platinum Privilege status), it is only normal that I run into familiar faces at Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge. The same could be said about the employees of the Hilton Hotel or Marriott Marquis Hotel in Doha where I choose to say as you tend to run into familiar faces there. 
I had taken this long break at Al Mourjan  on purpose, so that i can recuperate well from the long trip from Miami and prepare myself for two short days in Fort Cochin, where I have some Foodie friends who would take me to some lovely places to eat. 
Qatar airways is run by HE Al-Bakr who has a reputation for being a good manager, fine business model and a kind and considerate employer. When I travel through Kerala, I see the imprint of Qatar Airways in the new homes and the families and children joyous in the secure knowledge that their loved ones are in Qatar working for the Best Airline in the World.

I look forward to my next flights on QR on ten days time, passing through Doha to Brussels.

I wish all of the employees of QR well, they are a hard working bunch and people like the two lovely ladies on QR 778, Aksam at the Al Mourjan Lounge make this airline a UNIQUE airline in the world, of course under the eagle's eye of HE al-Bakr.



I thought about the wonderful flight from MIA to DOH (merci beacoup to the ladies two), soon boarded a flight to Cochin. Even the short flight, a four hour flight was on a 787-900, so once again I got my One Alpha seat. The senior was Mohammed from Kuala Lumpur and the lady on my side was from Cochin. The two ladies had to cater for the entire business class which was full, so I did not have to chat with any one of the cabin crew.
Groggy from on and off sleep, I am grateful to Qatar Airways for bringing me to my destination in style, pleasure and full stomach and lots of bubbly.. Shukran ..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...