lundi 8 octobre 2018

MIAMI IS A BILINGUAL CITY ENJOY IT TWICE AS MUCH

If you are monolingual and harping about it at supermarkets and cafes in Miami, you are halving the pleasure of living in Miami. If you can communicate in Spanish, the pleasure of living here is doubled. 
This morning, I went to the Drivers License bureau and every single person working there was bilingual, they were proficient in Spanish and English and the majority of the people waiting were spanish speaking. I had a nice chat with an agent, first in English and then in Spanish. She was born in Cuba and now lives here in Miami, has become suitably overweight as that is a badge of honour among immigrants to this country.
Stepping into the cafe, looking for a Cortadito, I was served by two Colombian migrants, both pleasant. 
It was time to buy condiments and sundries for Cuba, stopped at the Fresco Supermarket where every single person was Spanish speaking even though they can speak English also.
My pleasure is to be able to speak Spanish to the multiple people that i have brief interactions with. On a daily basis, in Miami, when I am visiting this city. 
I said hello to some of the people working there, told them that I am here to shop for Cuba, that made them even warmer, these immigrant women thinking about their homeland. 
It was lunchtime, I stopped by the Middle Eastern Restaurant, run by an Israeli Christian Arab family. After a nice Israeli meal, it was time for hair cut and I was eagerly received at the Saloon owned by my Friend who was born in Sudan and grew up in Israel. The person who cuts my hair is from Venezuela and that is all she has in her mind and i warn her to pay attention to her scissors while watching or listening to news from her city of Maracaibo. 
At the Dollar Store, the young lady behind the counter studied Law in Holguin, and the ladies behind the counter at TJ Maax are all spanish speaking. They speak English also.
I think if you insist that all your interactions must be in English because you are in an English speaking city, please remember Miami residents are predominantly Latin from every country in the Southern part of the Americas. 
For me, it is a nice ritual, that gives me immense pleasure, to see these familiar faces on my repeated visits to Miami
and speak Spanish.. even though the lady at the Pedicure salon speaks only Vietnamese and a little English, but we have Vietnam in common to talk about, mainly the food of Vietnam!
Welcome to Miami  Bienvenidos a Miami

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...