vendredi 2 février 2024

VIPASSANA SENSATION IN LETICIA IN COLOMBIAN AMAZON

Yesterday I had a very strange sensation in the amazonian town of Leticia. Perhaps it was the reason I had travelled there ? It seemed , or was it a signal that I need to study more deeply the Vipassana meditation.

While I have the chance and desire to travel constantly, I am very seldom a tourist but a traveler in whose  path are thrown extraordinary experiences. In the only air conditioned cafe in that outpost of CoCa-Colonization (why should there be a bottling plant there ?) I met people who contribute to this happiness I my life.

The western style obesity is creeping in, and soon Colombia would join the rank of the developing countries, developing economically plus people heavier than before.

In this town of 38 000 , you are never a stone’s throw away from a church or a preaching or converting centre..(remember GianCarlo Giannini in Swept Away saying.. Crucifix  more popular than Coca Cola !). So, it was no coincidence that my colourful way of dressing and beads and rings made the locals think of me a medicine man or an evangelist.

As I entered the only air conditioned cafe in town, to escape the intense heat, the ladies behind the counter looked at me closely and asked me.  Could you please pray for us ? Taken aback by this strange request, I confessed that I am not religious but years spent with indigenous people has contributed to my becoming a Healer. Then briefly talked about their individual health. I must have touched some raw nerves, when the lady who brought me the cake and coffee , said Doctor, please can you talk to my husband, tomorrow when you come.

He is 34 years old, a well built young man who had been recently admitted to the hospital because of suspected heart attack, investigations showing, as expected, no damage to his heart. Then why do I feel this impending sense of doom, tremendous fear of future which does not allow me to sleep. This is somatasized into panic attacks. First I had to assure him that his heart is healthy and that he would not die anytime soon leaving two orphans. Fortunately my faithful stethoscope was in my bag and I checked him very thoroughly. His partner had mentioned that his father had been stabbed to death in the recent past and his mother is disabled with medical problems. I was trying to connect these and his panic attacks which only began recently, he burst out crying. It looked natural to me, this muscular man, sitting next to me bursting out crying in a busy cafe in an isolate town near the mightiest river on earth.

I spent some more time  with him, I can see him visibly relaxing and by the time I said goodbye to him, to catch my flight to Bogota, he cupped my hands with his, and said, Doctor I feel so much better, thank you for your time.

As I left the cafe, I was hit with a feeling of euphoria, which was a high and at the same time a low feeling, but an incredibly grateful moment . I was so so happy.

Being a student of Vipassana, I recognised this sensation..still in the realm of mind and matter, coming and going like a wave, a sense of extreme tranquility and calm which can be named, adhukamasukka. But I told myself, dont become attached to this feeling, Annica or attachment, which to me is the basis of so much unhappiness in the world at a personal level, professional level and a national level..

I floated along like a log bopping up and down along the mighty river which was near by.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...