vendredi 9 février 2024

TREAT OTHERS WITH RESPECT AND RESPECT WILL COME YOUR WAY

Treat others with respect, and respect will come your way.

During my recent visits to the East, two incidents notably stood out, echoing the words of my dear psychologist friend AA from La Habana: The relationships you build worldwide are your treasure. It often disheartens me to see many in Asia, especially India, neglecting to accord respect to others. They engage in societal transactions that ultimately harm not only others but also themselves. A particular annoyance in India is the pervasive caste and color system disrupting the ability to see a person’s true value.

I was frequently confronted with derogatory comments about the 'Other' — those seen as poor or from distant places like Nagaland or Nepal, and unfounded criticisms of Malayalee workers for their alleged lack of work ethic. However, this attitude of setting oneself apart from the 'Other' is not unique to any one place; I’ve noticed it globally.

In stark contrast, the American Indians embrace the concept of Mitakuye Oyasin, a belief in our interconnectedness. I have taken this principle to heart, striving to be a brother to everyone I encounter, sometimes going out of my way to connect.

The emotional and humanitarian rewards I've received from these connections are profound and fulfilling, especially in light of my commitment to Humanitarian Medicine, enriching this journey of life with deeply satisfying moments.

From my recent journey, I recall two instances:

In 2004, Abu Bakr was a receptionist at the Ballard Bungalow Heritage Hotel in Cochin, managed by Densal Sany. One monsoon day, Abu Bakr shielded us from the rain and wind by inviting us into the reception. Our friendship grew from there, and during a later visit, I was welcomed into his home in Paroor for a feast and offered health advice to his father. Years later, after hearing from Densal that Abu Bakr had returned from working in Oman as a family man, I reconnected with him, leading to a heartfelt reunion in Paroor.

Another memorable moment occurred during a transit stop at Doha airport. Months prior, while transitioning from Casablanca to New York, I encountered Aksam from Colombo. Our brief conversation left such an impression that upon my return, Aksam eagerly greeted me, and we enjoyed catching up. This encounter demonstrated the lasting impact of treating someone with genuine respect and interest.

These experiences remind me of a wisdom shared by Black Bird, an UmonHon Indian: A medical mistake may be forgivable, but a mistake against humanity is not. As doctors, we must remember we are more than our profession; it's crucial to understand and honour who we are as individuals.

An additional personal reflection involves my connection to Wella Watta in Colombo, sparked by a 'genetic memory' and my admiration for the Chilean poet Pablo Neruda, who lived there as the Consul for Chile in Ceylon in 1929. Neruda’s passionate and tumultuous relationship with Josie Bliss, and the vivid memories of their time together, continue to move me deeply.


Aksam Abu Tahir a Sri Lankan I met on my first journey on Qatar Airways, we are still friends and try to see each other when I transit in Doha. He organized a trip for me in his part of Sri Lanka in and around Galle

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...