mardi 21 décembre 2021

ENJOYING YALDA THE LONGEST NIGHT IN IRAN WHILE SUN IS SHINING HERE IN MIAMI ..ISRAEL AND IRAN FRIENDSHIP

 21 december 2021 

Winter Solstice 

Yalda celebrated in Iran 

Iran is 8 1/2 hours time zones away from Miami. So i was able to enjoy the feasts and getting together of the families there even though I do not know them.

I decided to devote the day today thinking about the philosophy behind Yalda and also the long and glorious history of Iran and the possibility of a friendship between Israel and Iran which is inevitable, happening earlier than we would imagine. 


the morning began well here, this time of the year, the days are extremely pleasant, occasionally interrupted by rain, none today. Thank you Clouds, for respecting Yalda, the fire lighting up the skies

My Omaha Indian friends sent this picture to me this morning and to me it represented the fire of Yalda , the longest night of the year.




Originating in the pre-Zoroastrian tradition of worship of Mithra, the God of Sun, but popularized by Zoroastrians, Yalda, also referred to as Chelleh, celebrates the sunrise after the longest night of the year. Ancient Persians believed that evil forces were strongest on the longest and darkest night of the year.


Red the colour of fire and passion 
the colour of light extinguishing the darkness 
While the Persian families were rejoicing, I was in Miami, imagining them and taking great pleasure

A very leisurely lunch at a Thai resto nearby. I wanted a very spicy thai dish, so I had Massaman Shrimp curry..


People are cautiously going to restaurants especially to ethnic restaurants such as this Thai resto. I had not been there since the Covid epidemic and the flavour wanted me to plan a visit to Thailand.
A cup of Cuban coffee is always welcome and I request the person: Cortadito estilo La Habana, por favor.. Cortadito a cuban style of coffee , like we drink in Havana, Please . The haughty venezuelan smirks and says. I am not Cuban..that is fine, the coffee is good, Venezuelans also have a Coffee culture.
Pomegranate features prominently during this long night and I was surprised to find what I could find in the house with Pomegranate in it and even had a Pomegranate fruit.. still unopened.
They are of course selling in the Nouveau Health salons, extracts of Pomegranate seeds and even a Probiotic drink with Pomegranate in it .
I am not sure what benefits these supplements have on our bodies but obviously there is a great demand for it. But I felt happy with their symbolic presence in the house on this day/night of Yalda 






The sun was setting, fairly early this time of the year, the longest night of the year arrived in Miami without much fanfare.  I thought of my dear friends all over the world and wanted to be with all of them..
My younger brother from Israel, sent me the link to the Persian radio and video station from Israel.
http://www.radioran.co.il/en
which has a large following in Iran. This is a farsi radio station broadcast from Israel. 
There are lots of artists of Iranian origin in Israel and some of them are popular in Iran as well. I got this video today.

To all my friends in Iran, from the one that I met in Iran and others who introduced me to Shamlou, Farookhzad,Nafisi and hundred others.. Films, Literature and music .. modern and classical .. from various provinces, some even pre-persian and not to forget our friends Azeri and Kurd Iranians. 

As the noted historian of Islam, Bernard Lewis has written:  A civilization can advance only when they give equal rights to the women and the minorities in their societies

This has been a wonderful YALDA for me..

I had written about Yalda in 2014..
https://medicoanthropologist.blogspot.com/2014/12/yalda-in-iran-israel-loves-iran.html

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...