mardi 10 août 2021

TIKKUN OLAM. REPAIRING THE UNIVERSE FROM MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA TO MIAMI FLORIDA AND BEYOND

TIKKUN OLAM 

MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA TO MIAMI FLORIDA 



Yesterday a Jewish friend of mine wanted me to talk to a friend of his and guide his friend with some medical advice.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, every day I have had the pleasure of engaging in medical conversation, to bring the science of medicine to the sceptic minds and usually guiding them to the appropriate treatment. 

I told the person on the other end of the line, as we were finishing the conversation, the Jewish people have a concept of Tikkun Olam, which I interpreted as Healing of the Universe Olam interpreted as Universe.

Talking to my Jewish friend, whom I refer to as the Optimistic Optometrist, I explained to him that my desire to help, in the modest way I can, is the concept of Tikkun Olam.

Things do not happen without a reason, say my indigenous friends, we are not smart enough to understand them when they happen.

Lo and behold, this morning, in the inbox there was an email from My Jewish Learning, explaining TIKKUN OLAM

Brought back memories of learning, in Melbourne, Australia and some learned men at the Chavurah in Miami.

Roots of the Term

The term “mipnei tikkun ha-olam” (perhaps best translated in this context as “in the interest of public policy”) is used in the Mishnah (the body of classical rabbinic teachings codified circa 200 C.E.). There, it refers to social policy legislation providing extra protection to those potentially at a disadvantage — governing, for example, just conditions for the writing of divorce decrees and for the freeing of slaves.

It was the mystical connection to the Lurianic tradition that brought back such pleasant memories of Jewish life in Melbourne.

Every year we were privy to the intellect of a Shaliach (a representative) and of course, we in the distant diaspora were super impressed with the breadth of their intellect. Was it Aharon Megged who introduced us to the elements of the Kabbalah? I still remember him talking about schehinah Light. it is the coming together of this light, in the Lurianic tradition, a created world, to return to the divine light of what was before. To become whole once again.

I remember being very impressed. At the end of the talk, he asked, are there any questions? Not even one of us could muster a question. It took me a lifetime to understand the Kabbalah, and you could understand in one hour? How fantastic!

My own understanding of Tikkun Olam coincided with my becoming a doctor and reading American Jewish Literature. 

I have always felt that my Jewish upbringing has had a fantastic influence in the kind of Medicine and Healing that I have practiced since becoming a Doctor, A shaliach to the Olam, a healer to the Indigenous, a doctor without borders.




featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...