lundi 30 août 2021

RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE AND ACCEPTANCE IN COCHIN, KERALA, INDIA. MADE ME CELEBRATE ONAM IN PARIS


 My day had begun in Paris, and I was slowly wandering around the Left Bank of Paris when I received a short video from a very devoted Catholic friend of mine from Cochin in Kerala, India.

He was wishing me a Happy Onam. I wrote to another friend in Kerala for an explanation of Onam and was reminded that it is a Kerala specific festival of flowers and food and while Hindu in origin, well celebrated by others.

My last visit to Cochin was to bring in the year 2020 at the delightful Bristow Bungalow Lighthouse Hotel in the company of some good friends (old and new). I have not had a chance to taste Kerala or for that matter South Indian Cuisine since then.

I suddenly remembered the neighbourhood around Rue Chapelle and Gare du Nord in Paris where there is a concentration of Sri Lankaise and Tamoul expatriates and refugees with multitudes of Tamoul restaurants..

Bus no 58 meandered along giving me a vista of the changing demography as the bus moved north.. around Gare du Lyon, there were such a melange of colourful costumes from Africa and soon one could feel the sensation of Incense floating around.

I was in the Tamoul Neighbourhood of Paris.

It was nice to see old and new migrants from Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry and also refugees from the war in Sri Lanka as well as some people from Mauritius or Reunion who looked more integrated (in dress, behaviour and comportment).. I enjoyed walking around the main street with signs in Tamoul and the smell of Brickfields in Kuala Lumpur of which this was a poor copy.

I had come here in search of a Dosai and celebrate ONAM knowing that Tamouls do not celebrate Onam. 

During that day faithful friends from Kerala, christian and Hindou were sending Onam greetings.. 





Tamoul area of Paris..


Regular haircuts in Paris are more expensive than this, but these barbershops which resembled barbershops in Kuala Lumpur and Tamil Nadou had character..


I ordered a Sri Lankan Dosai, which was a mistake, these were much like thick pancakes. I wanted a Masala Dosai or Ravi or Ghee Dosai.  ah well..  Next Dosai in Cochin, Kerala..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...