mercredi 15 juillet 2020

READING SHAMLOU IN MIAMI IN THESE UNCERTAIN TIMES ..


I think of Ahmad Shamlou in the same manner I think of Pablo Neruda of Chile and Pramoedya Ananta Toer of Indonesia .
All suffered for their beliefs.
But they saw only beauty in the lives around them 
Shamlou drips with metaphors 

It is morning and I am in Miami 
In these strange times when we cannot plan our days and times.

Reading Shamlou.

The sun and the fire
no longer
possess any warmth or light,
that one might excavate the ember of some dream
from within 
the cold ashes of the kindling..

from Another Season 

The ocean grows jealous over the drop 
that you sipped from the well.

from Anthem for an enlightened man who went away .
in the poem, I see the pain felt at the power of the oppression of the society.
The governing powers do not want you even to taste a little bit of freedom .
As Lady MacBeth would say: I am so deep in the ocean, that drowning is the only choice.
This morning, a new book in translation from its french original by Leila Slimani (Maroc/France), winner of Goncourt Prize
about the total hypocrisy  of the Moroccan society which has put into laws the morality forbidding pleasure for the women, by stressing those qualities that men want in them and covering up them so that they become oversex-ified objects.

Why do these men find expression of human mind so odious?
Trump in America, Bolsanaro in Brasil, Most Muslim nations of the world (even including Tunisia!), Urban in Hungary..

It would be the women who would lead this new revolution of thought 
What a progressive world it would be then ...

Thank you, Mothers, Daughters, sisters and Lovers .


No one speaks with any one 
for the silence speaks with a thousand tongues 

from Nocturnal 

I keep his poems, along with poems of Forugh Farrokhzad and the uncontestable Hafez....

just a few lines now and then ..
think of some dear person 
and randomly choose a ghazal.. 

I would do that now..
I will think of some one from the town of P.
and randomly choose a ghazal
No 114 comes up 


perfume-place falleth

Amidst the proud debris of the night, a voice emerged
that was neither bird nor ocean 
And hence I felt the full burden of my races exhaustion
upon my own sunken shoulders.

from The Anthem for one who left and the one who stayed behind.

When I am in La Habana, I pass by the Persian restaurant, possibly the only Persian restaurant in the Caribbean..
and pay homage to Ahmad Shamlou


No one told me about the Persian singer Faramaz Aslani 
but it was nice to see a video filmed in the familiar parts of La Habana 
the song is YAR 


That is all for now...

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...