mercredi 25 décembre 2019

GRATEFUL FOR THE CHANCE TO HELP ANOTHER HUMAN BEING . A STORY FROM CUBA

I was born HOMELESS in that my parents were not in their countries of origin and like my brother Eliyahu ended up in countries that were not in our destiny, far from our Mizrahi homelands and Israel. I ended up in Melbourne, Australia and he, in Kobe, Japan. ah well that is another story.
I have been in love with many countries during my travels, some like fickle lovers betray you, the others stand by you through thick and thin.
My first love was certainly Australia; I loved living in London while studying there, Miami continue to be another love, Jamaica put in an appearance and disappeared..but the country that gets me excited even to this day, after many years of our association is CUBA..


There is another country that I cannot visit, IRAN, that love I have to contain in my heart until the appropriate time of the liberation of the minds..
Cuba was a adolescent fascination with Che and Fidel and when I was close to Cuba,studying in Miami, the curiosity got even greater. When my good friend suggested that we go to the island for a grand tour of Anthropology and Botany (I am a Cultural Anthropologist and he is a devotee of Palm trees)
we dived into it and have never regretted it. Soon I was asked to give lectures in Anthropology and the circle of friends grew. I shifted to Baracoa for what could be called Epoca de Oro, with such lovely friends and a social life beyond belief and strength.
Every one was in need, including me. My first thought on waking up would be, where am I going to eat today. Every one tried their best to help and among was an Architect working for the city who came by the house each day, making sure I had something to eat. 
Over the years we kept in touch, even after I left Baracoa, and in course of time she retired and turned full time to look after her elderly parents. It was a difficult life. She has a daughter who has deep psychological problems from whom no help could be expected. As my good friend Castro had asked: how can a person who is callous towards their parents become a good doctor?
Bad times fell on the retired architect.Father became ill and died and mother in her eighties became totally dependent on her.
We have a mutual friend, an exemplary human being, an incredibly good psychologist.
She called me few days ago, while i was in France and informed me that our mutual friend was in dire financial trouble exhausted with her emotions as a caregiver.
So we devised a plan of helping her, and it turned out well.
I was very moved by the difficulties faced by this lovely human being and was willing to do anything to bring a little bit of cheer on this holiday season.

When she wrote to say THANK YOU in effusive terms as is the custom in Cuba and feasible in the Spanish language, the thought that came to my mind was 

THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME THIS OPPORTUNITY TO HELP.

(I may be HOMELESS but I have rooms in the hearts of many of my friends all around the world, my younger brother Shimon in Haifa said )
A friend of mine from Hamedan had sent me this quote from RUMI 
It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder
Make rain come out of your hearts when you see someone suffer, not thunder of aggression, dislike or criticism.
And the Little Philosopher of Cote Sauvage echoed:  if you shout, you will loose your voice
If you are not compassionate, it means I think in the mind of the little philosopher, happiness will not take root in your heart.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...