vendredi 5 juillet 2019

EATING IN HAVANA . WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO AN ANTHROPOLOGIST?


Eating in Havana
Means two things

FRIENDS
Who will make sure that you have things to eat.
FRIENDS
Who will make sure that they partake in the food they may prepare for you

I had a very tiring visit to the Orient this time, having left Cuba one morning, reaching Yangon three days later with long layovers in Miami, Tokyo and Bangkok. After leaving Yangon, it was Siem Reap via Bangkok and then on to Kuala Lumpur and then a lovely flight to Doha with a stopover of one day and then a nice visit to friends in Barcelona, coming back to Miami and then Havana.
Felt very feeble at the end of this trip, third of its kind this year (in the first six months of this year, not including visits to Argentina, Brasil and Colombia as well as Easter Island and twice to Mexico, also Uruguay, plus quite a few visits to Europe) and felt that I need to rest, not having had a rest from travel ever since I qualified in Anthropology in London many years ago.
I was in touch with my landlady who is my Cuban sister and she went on a shopping spree to fill up the fridge with things that I like: Lobster, Lamb, Chicken, Fish, and all sorts of green vegetables and fruits of the season. All I had to bring was wine!

My friend made sure that they came to visit rather than my visiting them, considering that the heart of July in Cuba was already unbearable.
As is the case with Cuba, this is the easiest place to make friends, and sooner than I arrived, I met a graduate of Physical Education (5 years at the university) who then goes on to practice sports medicine and therapeutic massage. We agreed that I should have at least four therapeutic massages lasting one hour each.
Hairdresser of Havana was another pleasant addition to the circle of friends.
Thanks to my Cuban sister, I ate well each day, in fact an excess of food and choices and being very grateful for it.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
FOR THE FOOD
FOR THE PREPARATION OF THE FOOD
FOR THE COMPANY TO SHARE THE FOOD

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...