dimanche 7 juillet 2019

DE SASTRE DE SAN JOSE . MY FRIEND VALENTIN TAILOR FROM MAYABEQUE

Sastre is tailor in spanish and a play on the word, de sastre, sounds like disaster.. Was not there a book by John Le Carre The Tailor of Panama? made into a movie starring Geoffrey Rush ?Pierce Brosnan?
My colleague from Sancti Spiritus in Cuba, now working in Miami, is a good example of the excellent tertiary education in the Physical Education Culture before they are allowed to become medical massage therapists. It takes five years of tertiary education, compare that massage therapist courses offered in the USA where with a few thousand dollars and 300 hours of training you could be licensed to massage. Of course in Asia it is even shorter a course and the massages you obtain in places like Cambodia or Thailand would be classified as caressing in Cuba. But even in those places the massage therapists have a psychological function. Imagine you are traipsing around the archeological ruins of Angkor under the hot sun, it does feel heaven to come to an air conditioned place and lie down on a sofa in a semi erect position and have someone stroke your legs, it does relax you, so there is a role for that type of massage too.
But I needed a medical massage therapist who would relax some tight muscles pulling on my scapula (infraspinatus) and my friend in Miami had proven the worth of  his Cuban education and through mutual friends I met the tailor of San Jose who happens to be  a graduate of Physical Education..






As is our custom in Cuba, the relationships are important and the Tailor of San Jose came four times during the week and each time, administered massage therapy and then we would have a nice lunch together assisted by other friends.

I wish you well, my friend Valentin the medical massage therapist, the Tailor of San Jose

PS I plan to bring some nice cotton material from India and would reward with a bundle and hopefully he would craft me a Kaftan!

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...